Throwing a party for your child can be a lot of fun, but it can also be challenging to come up with great party ideas that everyone will enjoy. If you are looking for kids’ birthday party themes for boys or girls, you have come to the right place!
An epic list of favourite party themes for kids. Whether you are looking for a theme that is simple and easy or one with all the bells and whistles, you will find something your child will love!
Creative And Fun Children’s Party Ideas
Kids’ birthday parties can be so much fun to plan and even more fun on the day and while themes aren’t essential for birthday celebrations, they can make it easier to plan your event.
Even small parties with close family and friends can be extra memorable when you choose the right theme and decorations and there are plenty of birthday themes to choose from that will suit boys and girls.
Planning Your Themed Children’s Birthday Party
Children’s birthday parties can either be one of your favourite events to plan or they could bring a feeling of complete and utter overwhelm…
But you don’t have to be a professional event planner to plan epic kids’ birthday parties!
While it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement, there are a few important things to consider when planning a themed birthday party for kids.
Firstly, pick your theme. Nothing else will fall into place so easily until you know your birthday party theme! Once you know your theme, the rest gets easier!
- Set your budget and stick to it!
- Research ideas – Pinterest is a wonderful resource for kids’ party planning!
- Give your child a guest limit and have them create their guest list
- Plan the activities & party entertainment – do this before you invite guests so you know you have enough time to fit your activities into the party timeframe
- Send out invitations
- Organise the decor – either purchase or DIY (or a mix of both) making sure to stick to your budget
- Decide what food and drinks you will serve – again, keeping within your budget
Don’t forget the party favours! These non-treat party favour alternatives are a great option if you want to give out something other than candy to party guests!
So before you get planning, let’s get that party theme sorted!
Choosing Kids’ Party Themes
When choosing birthday party themes for girls and boys, there are a few things you should take into account.
The age of your child is a good starting point – some party themes are more suited to toddlers than primary school children in the same way that what a younger child loves may not suit a tween.
Your child’s interests will also help narrow down the party theme options – if they love animals, for example, a zoo party might be a perfect choice, or for kids who love dinosaurs a Jurassic party could be a roaring success!
School-aged kids usually have a few unique ideas of their own that will save you from coming up with a theme yourself.
Location is another thing to think about – if you’re limited on space, you need a theme that will work within your space constraints.
If you are hosting the party at a local park, you also want a theme that is easy to transport so you aren’t having to make multiple trips to the park with all your decor, food and activities.
For parties with professional entertainers, such as clowns, petting zoos, magicians or class-based parties, make sure you book the kids’ party entertainment early so you don’t end up disappointed due to them any longer being available on your dates!
The Ultimate List Of Party Themes For Kids
This is the ultimate list of child’s birthday party themes for boys and girls with loads of different ideas for you to consider for your child’s special celebration.
These themes include dress-up parties, a food-themed party and simple themes around colours, music, style and entertainment.
- Animals – This is a great party theme for both boys and girls. You can have it themed around a specific animal such as a koala party or a group of related animals such as wild animals or farm animals
- Scavenger hunt – Check out these nature scavenger hunt ideas that you could adapt for a birthday party
- Outer space
- Beach party – This party theme is perfect for summer birthday celebrations and is great for both boys and girls. You can have a beach party indoors or outdoors with decorations, food and games themed around the beach.
- Circus party – This party theme is perfect for kids who love to be entertained. You can have a circus party with sideshow style party games, circus-themed food and decorations as well as party favours for your guests. Or get a local kids circus troop to perform or do circus workshops with the kids.
- Pool party
- Marvel Avengers party – This party theme is perfect for boys and girls who love superheroes. You can have a party with games, food and decorations themed around their favourite Marvel superheroes.
- Disney party – This party theme is perfect for both boys and girls who love all things Disney. You can have a party with games, food and decorations themed around their favourite Disney movies or characters, such as Mickey Mouse or the Disney Princesses.
- Princess party
- Fairy party – A simple fairy dress-up party is fun for little girls or make it a fairy garden making party with each child taking home their own little fairy garden to keep.
- Dance party
- Karaoke party
- Rockstar party – Have everyone dress as rock stars, play kid-friendly rock music and have themed decorations such as inflatable guitars hanging from the walls
- Dress in a certain colour – Choose a party theme around a certain colour and have all the party decorations, food and games in that colour scheme. Ask party guests to come wearing that colour too.
- Toy Story party – For kids who love the Toy Story films, you can have a party with games, food and decorations themed around the movie with party favours for your guests, such as a make your own Forky kit. You could even dress up as Toy Story characters as we did for Halloween one year.
- Tea party – This party theme is perfect for little girls who love all things girly. You can have a tea party with fancy ch
- Construction party – This party theme is perfect for boys (or girls) who love anything to do with construction vehicles, tools or buildings. You can have a ‘dirt’ chocolate birthday cake, have a sandpit with diggers, buckets and shovels and little plastic hard hats for kids to wear.
- Jungle party
- Petting zoo
- Paint party – Have a creative party with small canvases, paints, brushes and aprons for kids to wear or ask that kids come wearing old clothes. Each child will have their own artwork to take home.
- Tea party
- Alice In Wonderland – This classic theme for special occasions works well as a Mad Hatter’s tea party or garden party with mismatched china, teapots and cups, party hats and lots of beautiful flowers in little vases.
- Star Wars – Pool noodle lightsaber battles anyone?
- Lord of the Rings
- Harry Potter – Everyone’s favourite wizard, there are so many cool ideas for food, games and decorations that you can utilise for a Harry Potter theme party
- Pamper party
- Hair braiding party – Hire a hairdresser or specialty braid hair stylist, or get your own coloured hair extensions online and braid all the girls’ hair in rainbow colours.
- Magic show – Hire a children’s entertainer to come to perform a magic show at home and teach the kids some simple tricks as a great way to keep the kids entertained at your party
- Puppet show
- Olympics – Find fun ideas for ‘Olympic events’ the kids can do in the backyard, such as frisbee throwing, ring toss, long jump and lawn bowling for a fun games day that both younger children and older children will love.
- Roald Dahl
- Farm party
- Awards show
- LEGO – Who doesn’t love LEGO? You can have building stations or LEGO building challenges, jelly cubes and there are so many easy DIY LEGO decorations you could put together
- Famous people – Have kids dress up as their favourite celebrity and have games such as celebrity heads to keep them entertained
- Photobooth – Hire a photo booth or set up your own with a camera on a tripod and lots of fun photo props for the kids to use to make some great memories together
- Hollywood glam – Kids can dress in their most glamorous outfits and walk red carpets as they enter the party zone.
- Bluey party – Everyone’s favourite Aussie Blue Heeler and her sister Bingo have become popular party themes for kids around the world, not just in Australia!
- Soccer party
- AFL/NRL/Football party
- Sports party – Any other sport that your child loves such as tennis, martial arts, swimming etc can make a fun theme where you can involve the sport in your party entertainment
- Baking party
- High tea
- Slumber party
- LOL Dolls
- Paw Patrol
- Pokemon – Make your own Pokemon treasure hunt using clear fillable baubles painted as poke balls with little Pokemon figurines and treats inside
- Under The Sea – This theme is a fun idea on its own or incorporated into a Little Mermaid princess theme. You can easily make your own under the sea decorations with blue streamers hanging down and sea creatures made from paper and other craft materials
- Minute To Win It
- Craft party – Theme your party around a craft project you can make with the kids so your party favour is also sorted with some fun make and take projects. Or have different craft stations to make a few smaller crafts in between party food and games.
- Floor Is Lava
- Face painting
- Safari Party
- Paris theme – Use cardstock to create your own Paris-inspired decorations such as an Eiffel Tower silhouette for a photo backdrop, with French pastries to eat.
- Ninja Warrior
- Jumping castle – Hire a bouncy castle for the backyard and let kids go wild by bouncing between party games and snacks. Many local party supplies companies allow hiring for a few hours or some for the entire weekend so you will be able to enjoy the fun even before and after the party
- Balloon animals
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Video games
- Pirate party
- Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Pixar Cars party
- Tutti Frutti – Mocktails, summer vibes and lots of bright colours is the perfect way to celebrate with this fabulous party theme
- Encanto party
- Day of the Dead – This Mexican party theme can be inspired by the movie Coco for a more Disney spin. You can have traditional Mexican food such as tacos and enchiladas, make sugar skulls cookies and have a piñata, and use brightly coloured streamers and decorations throughout your party space. Kids can have their faces painted for the occasion.
- Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse
- Neon/Glow in the dark
- Backyard cinema – Set up an outdoor projector and inflatable projector screen in the backyard with picnic blankets, beanbags, pillows and sleeping bags to snuggle up in and watch movies under the stars
- A night at the movies – A movie night slumber party with popcorn and a couple of favourite movies
- Mary Poppins
- Frozen party
- Jurassic Park
- Cupcake party – Kids will love decorating their own cupcakes with all sorts of different decorations and toppings. You can even have a contest to see who can make the best birthday creation
- Backyard splash – Set up the sprinkler or a slip and slide and have the kids enjoy cooling down on a hot summer day
- Water fight – Water balloons, water pistols and loads of fun as the kids take on each other in a backyard water fight
- Laser tag
- Fort party – Let your kid’s imaginations run wild as they create their own forts with cushions, chairs and blankets. Play games inside the forts or have a treasure hunt to find hidden objects around the house
- My Little Pony
- Willy Wonka And The Chocolate factory
- Favourite Book Characters – Have party guests dress as their favourite book character for this theme
- Peppa Pig
- The Wiggles
- Letter of the alphabet theme – Have guests dress up as something beginning with the nominated letter and make all the food and activities suit the themed letter too
- Trolls party – Those bright-haired Trolls are a perfect theme for music-loving kids. Play the Trolls soundtracks in the background and keep the decorations neon bright as you celebrate friendship and kindness. You could even make Troll hair headbands for each guest
- Colour Run
- Around The World – Serve main dishes and desserts from around the world
- Garden party – Get outdoors with this party theme that celebrates everything green and growing. Have a picnic lunch, play some games in the garden and pot seeds in little pots for kids to take home. Don’t forget the gummy worms on the food table!
- Rainbow party – This is a party theme that can be used for any age group. With so many rainbow decorations and accessories available, it’s easy to set up and will be loved by kids and adults alike. Try rainbow-themed party food such as fresh fruits, drinks and candies.
- Sonic party – If your child is a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, then this is the party theme for them! With Sonic decorations, games and food, they’ll feel like they’re right in the middle of the action.
- Pyjama party – For a party that’s all about relaxing and having fun, have a PJ party. Kids can come in their comfiest clothes, watch movies, play games and eat snacks. It’s the perfect party for a cold winter day or slumber party theme.
- Dinosaur party
- Tie-dye party – This party theme is perfect for summer. With bright colours and patterns, kids will love getting creative with tie-dyeing shirts they can take home and wear after the party ends. This is one of our favourites!
- Spooky / Halloween – Check out these Halloween party games, DIY decorations, mocktails, party food and costume ideas for planning your spooky event
- Comic books
- Mario Bros
- When I grow up dress-up – Have guests dress up as the thing they want to be when they grow up
- Crazy hair party – These crazy hair ideas will give you plenty of inspiration!
- Project Runway
- My Favourite Things – Have all the food, games and activities themed around your child’s favourite things
- Ice cream bar
- Hawaiian Luau – Inflatable palm trees, delicious food cooked outdoors, summer vibes and sweet drinks flowing, this party theme is great for older kids
- Dessert bar
- Milkshake bar
- Game night – Play the birthday boy or girl’s favourite board games, card games or digital games as a game night themed party celebration with a few of their closest friends
- Taco bar
- Masquerade party – Add a touch of glam to your child’s special day with a masquerade party. Kids can wear their finest outfits and arrive with a mask to suit the theme or have a mask-making activity at the start so each child can create their own fancy mask to wear.
- Batman party
- Justice League
- Wonder Woman
- Black and white
- Woodland animals
- Science party – Hire a mobile science party service to come to your home or research a few really simple science projects you can do at home yourself safely with kids, such as baking soda volcanos or making slime.
- STEM party
- Nerf gun party – For fun activities for older kids’ birthday parties, you can’t go past a Nerf war! Buy or borrow a heap of Nerf guns, stock up on Nerf darts and set up some targets around the yard and obstacles to hide behind.
- Racecar – Create a race track with black tape on your driveway or indoor tiles for the kids to race their toy cars as just one of the creative ideas to incorporate this theme into your party.
- Captain America – Get some Captain America party ideas for decorations, food and games, such as using a frisbee for the Captain America shield throw
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Dog theme
- Cat theme
- Peter Rabbit – This is a beautiful child’s birthday party theme for younger kids and a classic party theme that works even for baby showers and a first birthday party.
- Gumnut babies
- How to train your dragon
- Archaeologist – Set your little archaeologists to work by freezing some small toys and treasures inside blocks of ice and giving them spoons to chisel away at them. Bury other treasures in the sandpit or in the dirt and have them dig away as part of the fun activities of the day.
- Talent show
- Trampoline party
- Fancy dress
- Teddy bear’s picnic – Create a backyard picnic with cute finger food and pretty little serving trays and have all the guests bring their favourite teddy bear or stuffed toy.
- Enchanted garden
- Disney Princess
- Thomas the Tank Engine
- Robots party
- Coding party
- Dr Seuss party – Serve up green eggs and ham… or perhaps a more kid-friendly menu with decorations and party games that relate to the beloved children’s books
- Peter Pan
- Where The Wild Things Are
- Angry Birds
- Arabian nights – This theme could also be an Aladdin themed party with lots of sheer fabric dropped around for decorations and cushions on the ground to sit on.
- Creepy crawlies
- Winter wonderland – Snowcones, DIY snowflakes hanging from the roof, maybe even a snow machine if you want to go all out for your winter wonderland backyard extravaganza
- Skateboarding / skating
- Sesame Street
- Wizard of Oz
- Horses – Have all the decorations for your child’s special day be horse and pony themed. If it is in your budget, hire a local petting farm to do pony rides in your backyard for the children.
- Owl party
- Ladybug party
- Karate party – Rather than have the kids randomly karate chopping each other, have this party run at your local karate dojo or other martial arts centre with qualified instructors running games and teaching basic skills.
- Kite flying party
- Scrapbooking – Create a scrapbooking station with papers in bright colours, embellishments, glue and pens and have the kids bring some favourite photos to scrapbook. Or if you have an instant camera or a home printer, snap a few pics of the party group together at the start of the party and print them off for a special party day keepsake the kids can make.
- Playdough party
- Slime party
- Manicure/pedicure party
- Mexican fiesta
- Obstacle course
- Tough Mudder – Create your own messy, muddy obstacle course in the backyard to challenge older kids
- Cops and robbers
- The Simpsons
- X-men party
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Captain Underpants
- Finding Nemo
- High School Musical
- Superheros and villains – Why limit kids to just their favourite superhero when your little boy or little girl might have a favourite villain instead!
These kids’ birthday party ideas are perfect for children of all ages! With themes for parties to suit toddlers to tweens, you are sure to find the perfect themed birthday party idea for your child as a fun way of making their special day more memorable in a celebration of their favourite things!
Which of these kids party themes is your favourite? So many to choose from!
Need adult party theme ideas? Find 225 theme party ideas for your next grown-up celebration! And check out my ultimate guide on how to plan a birthday party for adults!
Looking for more celebration and costume ideas? Check these out:
- DIY Halloween costumes for adults, couples & groups
- DIY Halloween costumes for kids
- Unique kid’s birthday party entertainment ideas
- Party bag fillers that aren’t candy
- School birthday treats that aren’t cupcakes
- Christmas party games
- Halloween party games
- Party game ideas for kids
- Balloon and water balloon games for kids
- Book character costume ideas
- Fun things to do in the backyard
- Gifts for kids that aren’t toys
- Experience gifts for kids
- Fun activities to do at home with kids
- Fun backyard activities to do with kids
Like This Article? Share, Bookmark Or Pin It For Later!