Enjoy your favourite crispy salt & pepper calamari in the air fryer. Skip the deep fryer and switch out your usual breadcrumbs for panko breadcrumbs in this simple air fryer calamari recipe. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce, perfect for a light lunch or entertaining with friends.
Creating the perfect crispy calamari, minus the deep-fryer is easily achievable with your air fryer. Just like my oven-baked squid recipe, this is a lighter alternative to the traditional deep-fried calamari.
This air fryer calamari recipe gives a crispy, salt and pepper finish that is great for sharing.
IF you aren’t keen on creating your own crispy batter, you can easily cook pre-battered frozen calamari in the air fryer too, but where’s the fun in that?
The PErfect Air Fryer Calamari
Baking salt and pepper calamari in the air fryer is easy to do, although a tad messy. You are going to get your hands dirty in the process, but it is totally worth it!
Let’s check out the ingredients for making crispy air fryer squid:
- You will need your main ingredient, a 500-gram bag of frozen squid rings, defrosted. Many supermarkets or seafood shops will also sell them fresh. If you can’t find rings, squid tubes cut into rings will work perfectly too.
- For your crumb, 2 cups of panko breadcrumbs. You can use standard breadcrumbs, however, I like the light, flakey texture of panko breadcrumbs. Although, since this is an air fryer recipe, there is less concern with breadcrumbs absorbing oil anyway.
- A cup of buttermilk to help get your breadcrumbs sticking. Buttermilk is thicker than standard milk due to being slightly curdled. Sounds kinda gross but it’s also healthier for you as it’s lower in fat. You will also need 1 egg, beaten into your buttermilk.
- For the seasoning, you will need 2 tablespoons each of salt and cracked pepper. Finer pepper is fine too. It won’t have as strong of a flavour compared to cracked pepper though.
And then to add your ingredient combinations into 2 medium bowls, and let the calamari dipping begin!
how are panko breadcrumbs different?
The main difference between panko breadcrumbs and standard breadcrumbs is that this Japanese style of breadcrumb does not use the crust. They are both made from white bread, however, no crusts mean a coarser, flakier breadcrumb that absorbs less oil, making panko breadcrumbs lighter overall.
Can I store air-fried calamari?
Well, you can. If you want to make ahead and reheat, you can keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge. But I don’t recommend it.
If you reheat your calamari, it won’t have the same crispy texture. They will be soggy and soft instead and likely a bit chewy after reheating. Calamari is best eaten hot, straight out of the air fryer.
Dipping sauces for calamari
While salt and pepper calamari in the air fryer tastes great on its own, I do love having one or two dipping sauces with mine to add an extra flavour burst. There are a few go-to favourites I have:
- Seafood sauce
- Tartare sauce
- Sweet chilli sauce
Or make your own light dipping sauce, such as the one I share in my air fryer sweet potato fries recipe, mixing Greek yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, French mustard and salt. This is a simple dipping sauce that pairs well with crispy savoury dishes.
Check out these air fryer recipes too:
- Air fryer onion rings
- Pizza rolls in the air fryer
- Air fryer sweet potato fries
- Stuffed air fryer sweet potato
- 500g squid rings
- 1 cup plain all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp cracked pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Combine buttermilk and egg in a medium-sized bowl and mix well.
- Combine breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and flour in a second bowl.
- Dip squid rings into buttermilk mixture then roll in breadcrumb mixture.
- Layer coated calamari along the bottom of the air fryer basket, in a single layer.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes on 200 degrees Celcius (400F) or until golden brown.
- Repeat as necessary with remaining calamari rings.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Adjust the level of seasoning to your taste preferences.
The panko breadcrumbs can make a mess of the air fryer so you may wish to give the inside a light spray with non-stick cooking spray or layer on baking paper inside the basket to minimise the cleanup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.