Need some healthy birthday treats for your next celebration? Planning birthday party food is one of the key ingredients to a great celebration, but sometimes it can feel like a total sugar fest!
Having some healthy options on the table can help balance out all those sugary treats, which as a parent, can make you feel a little better about the potential sugar crash that follows.
Plus even kids need to refresh their palates between all the fun birthday party games.
We’ve got you covered with 40 healthy and delicious options that will be sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters. Whether you want something savoury or sweet, we have some awesome healthy party treats just for you!
Planning A Birthday Party Food Menu For Kids
The perfect party food menu for kids is one that combines delicious treats with healthy snacks. It also includes a balance of sweet and savoury foods to suit different taste preferences.
Think bite-sized finger food that is easy for kids to eat and enjoy during their party games!
You can even make some of the food extra fun by adding party-themed toppings or labels.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when planning party snacks:
- Choose foods that are easy to eat and serve – finger food is best!
- Include a mix of savoury and sweet snacks to satisfy all taste buds.
- Try to limit the amount of refined sugar in the treats so that kids don’t get too hyperactive or crash afterwards.
- Switch out common treats with healthier alternatives such as no sugar, whole grain or swap cream for vanilla yogurt.
- Make sure there are plenty of healthy options available, such as fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Ensure you have plenty of drinks to keep the kids hydrated during the party.
- Consider dietary restrictions when planning your menu. This may require changes to your planned menu or accommodating certain food allergies so all the kids have plenty to choose from.
40 Deliciously Healthy Birthday Treats For Kids’ Parties
Now let’s get to the delicious food! Here is a list of healthy birthday treats that will be sure to make your child’s special day extra special.
These healthy and delicious recipes and ideas also make great school birthday treats that your child’s teacher will appreciate much more than the sugar overload that comes with cupcakes.
Just make sure you check first in regards to medical conditions such as nut allergies, as some of these ideas do include nuts, gluten and dairy.
Healthy Sweet Birthday Snacks
There’s no denying that most kids grab for the sweet treats first on a child’s birthday snack table, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be grabbing for the healthy alternatives you’re serving up when they are this yummy:
- Fruit Kabobs – These are a great way to get your little ones to eat fresh fruit. Arrange cut-up pieces of different fruits onto skewers and you’ve got an instant party snack!
- Fruit Pizza – A fun twist on the classic pizza, this one is sure to be a hit with kids. Use Greek yogurt instead of pizza sauce and top it with fresh fruit pieces.
- Berry Yogurt Popsicles – Homemade fruit and yogurt popsicles that can be made with fresh or frozen berries.
- Chocolate Dessert Hummus – This sweet dessert hummus is made with chickpeas, cacao powder, almond butter and natural sweeteners and will feel like an indulgent treat for kids.
- Apple Nachos – Layer thin apple slices with peanut butter and top it off with dark chocolate chips or nuts for an easy and delicious snack.
- Frozen Banana Pops – Dip ripe bananas in melted dark chocolate and roll them in your favourite toppings. Freeze until you’re ready to serve. These are great for summer parties.
- Frozen Yogurt Bites – Freeze plain Greek yogurt until it is solid, cut it into cubes and top with fresh fruit or honey for a cooling treat.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries – A classic party treat that never gets old! Dip fresh strawberries in dark chocolate and let the kids enjoy.
- Strawberry Banana Yogurt Popsicles – These fruity yogurt popsicles are a healthy kid-friendly treat on a popsicle stick that the kids will love after some active play!
- Popcorn Trail Mix – A fun twist on a classic snack mix, this one combines popcorn with nuts, dried fruit and seeds for an extra crunchy treat.
- Watermelon Pizza – Slices of watermelon topped with yogurt and fresh fruit for a sweet dessert pizza that is healthy to eat.
- Yogurt Parfait – Layer Greek yogurt with fresh fruits or berries and top it off with some granola for a healthy and tasty snack.
- No Bake Energy Bites – These delicious bites offer a burst of energy with the perfect combination of oats, nut butter, honey and dried fruit.
- Healthy Strawberry Gummies – These healthy strawberry gummies are made with real fruit and are a great substitute for the usual party lolly mix.
- Fruit & Yogurt Cones – Use ice-cream cones filled with fresh fruit such as fresh berries and grapes with a dollop of yogurt for a sweet and refreshing treat.
- Ants on a Log – A classic snack that never gets old! Fill celery sticks with peanut butter and top with raisins for a tasty treat.
- Sour Candy Frozen Grapes – They taste like tangy sour candy but are a far healthier alternative, and great for hot weather!
- Almond Butter Fruit Dip – Add some extra fun to your fruit platter with an almond butter and Greek yogurt dip.
- Sugar-Free Kettle Corn – This sweet and salty popcorn has no refined sugar for a healthier alternative for this sweet treat.
- Healthy Chocolate Slice – This puffed rice chocolate slice is one that needs to be served chilled and is made with coconut oil and cacao powder.
- Oat Banana Applesauce Muffins – I always leave the added sugar out of this recipe when making it for lunch boxes, so it also makes a great breakfast snack and a party snack. Make them in mini muffin sizes for kids.
Healthy Savory Party Treats
When you need something to balance out all the sweet healthy party treats, or you are ready to serve lunch, these savoury party treat ideas are perfect for kids’ party food:
- Veggie Sticks and Dip – Serve up a selection of crunchy vegetables with a variety of delicious dips. Make your own hummus, guacamole or salsa.
- Mini Pizzas – Use whole wheat English muffins as the base and then let the kids top them off with their favourite toppings.
- Sweet Potato Fries – Sweet potato fries are a healthier alternative to regular french fries. Bake them in the oven until they are crispy and serve with ketchup or ranch dressing for dipping.
- Veggie Quesadillas – Add some more veggies to the mix by filling whole wheat tortillas with vegetables and cheese. Cut them into small slices for easy serving.
- Sweet Potato Crisps – Oven-baked sweet potato crips are a great healthy party snack for kids who always reach for the chip bowl!
- Zucchini Chips – Just 5 minutes in the oven or a little longer in the oven and you can have these crispy and healthy zucchini chips ready to eat.
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets – Make your own healthier version of chicken nuggets using lean ground chicken breasts, herbs, spices and breadcrumbs.
- Turkey Club Sandwich Kabobs – Food on a stick is just more fun and these kabob club sandwiches will have the kids excited to eat sandwiches!
- Mini Sandwiches – Use whole grain bread and then let the kids create their own mini sandwiches with their favourite ingredients.
- Roasted Beet Hummus & Pita Chips – A healthy roasted beet hummus dip paired with pita chips for a yummy snack table dish.
- Cheese & Crackers – Serve a selection of different cheese slices, cubes and crackers for a delicious snack that’s easy to make.
- Air Fryer Pasta Chips – These air-fried pasta chips are a healthy take on crunchy chips using pasta.
- Mini Frittatas – These mini egg muffins are the perfect grab-and-go snack for kids. Fill them with veggies, cheese and herbs for a tasty treat. You can easily turn this frittata recipe into muffin tray-sized servings.
- Veggie Wraps – Whole wheat tortillas filled with cooked vegetables and cream cheese are a delicious savoury option that will be sure to please any crowd.
- Zucchini Pizza Boats – No need to worry about gluten when you’re switching out your pizza bases for zucchini! Topped with your fave pizza toppings, this is a fun way to get kids to love veggies.
- Pizza Scrolls – These pizza scrolls are made with a 2 ingredient dough made from Greek yogurt and flour, then topped with your preferred pizza toppings.
- Popcorn – Skip the buttery popcorn and opt for healthy air-popped popcorn a light seasoning
- Chicken Sausage Rolls – A healthier sausage roll filling with veggies and ground chicken wrapped in puffed pasty.
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips – Serve your own homemade tortilla chips made from flour tortillas with guacamole or salsa.
Simple Substitutions To Make Food Healthier
If you are looking for more ideas on how to make your favourite party treat recipes healthier, here are some easy food substitutions and healthier alternatives you can try:
- Use whole wheat flour or oats instead of refined white flour.
- Replace sugar with natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
- Substitute butter for coconut oil or almond butter
- Frozen fruit can be used in place of fresh when needed, such as for smoothies or ice cream recipes.
- Instead of yogurt, use Greek yogurt which has more protein and less sugar.
- Use dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs instead of regular chocolate chips for an added health boost.
- Use nut milk such as almond milk or coconut milk in place of dairy milk.
These simple substitutions will help you create healthier treats that still taste delicious! Whether you are looking for a healthy snack or a fun party treat, these ideas will help you find the perfect combination of nutritious and delicious.
It is always important to remember that all foods can be enjoyed in moderation. Eating healthy doesn’t have to mean deprivation – it’s about having balance.
Conclusion: Healthy Party Snacks For Kids
It’s easy to create healthy treats for kids’ birthday parties that both parents and kids will love. With a few simple substitutions, you can make your favourite recipes healthier while still keeping the taste delicious! There are plenty of healthy party snacks to choose from that will appeal to the whole crowd. And if you still want some not-so-healthy birthday party treats too, check these yummy snack ideas out.
Get more party planning tips and ideas:
- How to plan a kid’s birthday party
- The best kids birthday party games & activities
- Party bag alternatives that aren’t candy
- Cool entertainment ideas for children’s parties
- Birthday treats for school that aren’t cupcakes
- Lunch party food ideas
- How to plan a party for adults
- Party theme ideas for kids
- Party theme ideas for adults
- Fun things to do on your birthday
- Gift ideas for active kids
- Easy birthday party snacks for kids
- Toy story birthday party ideas
- Trolls birthday party ideas
- Bluey birthday party ideas
- LEGO birthday party ideas
- Marvel superheroes birthday party
- Practical gift ideas for kids
- Experience gift ideas for kids
- Creative play ideas for kids
- Peppa Pig party ideas
- Pokemon birthday party ideas
- Birthday tradition ideas for kids