Are you looking for mother-daughter day ideas to enjoy quality time with your daughter? These fun ideas for spending time with your daughter are the perfect way to strengthen your mother-daughter relationship and create beautiful memories together.
With fun things to do with daughters of all ages, from toddler to teen, you are sure to find plenty of fun mother-daughter date ideas you will both love.
They are also wonderful things to do on Mother’s Day to make mum’s day extra special.
The Mother-Daughter Bond: Why It Matters
And the unbreakable bond between a mother and daughter is one that is particularly beautiful.
According to research from the University of Georgia, a daughter’s relationship with her mother largely impacts their personality and social behaviour in the future.
It can affect their social skills, self-esteem, and how they view themselves. A healthy attachment to a mother teaches daughters about trust, developing boundaries, connections, others’ needs, and individuality.
The mother-daughter bond supports healthy child development.
In addition, puberty is a difficult phase for your daughter. Maternal care plays a huge role in how they deal with physical and emotional changes. As you offer them guidance and words of affirmation, it will help them to accept and respect themselves.
Are These Ideas Just For Mums And Daughters?
Not at all! These fun mother-daughter dates can be a bonding activity for other family members too.
Fathers can spend special time with their sons or daughters with the ideas listed below, just as a mum can do many of these same fun activities with her son.
They also make for fun activities to spend with grandparents, aunts or an older sister too.
You might also like to check out these daddy-daughter date ideas for more inspiration.
Quick Mother-Daughter Activities That Take 15 Minutes Or Less
You don’t need a lot of time for a good time together. As every busy parent knows, finding time for different activities can be a challenge sometimes.
That’s why these special things that fit into those small pockets of time are great for everyday moments of joy.
1. Flip through old photo albums: Pull out a family photo album and reminisce some favourite memories together.
2. Make Hot Chocolate: There’s nothing more comforting than drinking hot chocolate while enveloped in a cosy blanket together.
3. Have A Dance Party: Fire up the dance floor as you and your daughter showcase your best moves. Did someone say dance-off?
4. Prepare Snacks: Teach your daughter to prepare quick and easy snacks together. This is a valuable life skill moment plus you get something yummy to eat afterwards.
5. Exercise: A 15-minute workout routine or outdoor walk isn’t only for boosting physical strength. Exercising together shows your daughter that you value taking care of yourself and encouraging her to do the same.
6. Take Photos Together: Capture new memories even when you are only lounging on the couch or cooking something up in the kitchen. Or have a silly selfie session.
7. Gratitude Journal: Being grateful is a habit that benefits children from a young age. Engage them in daily journal writing. You can use gratitude prompts for kids for an easy start or sit with them each day to do a gratitude journal entry.
8. Braid their hair: Teach your little one a hairstyle that makes them feel like a princess. Most girls love having pretty hairstyles (except for my eldest daughter who hates having her hair brushed with a passion).
9. Colour In: Express your creative sides. Work together on a colouring book page or use individual colouring pages you can print for a quick mindful creative break.
10. Play with pets: Involving animals is a perfect opportunity to teach them how to properly care for your family pets and have a little pet playtime too.
11. Learn a song: Sing your hearts out with a fun pop song or a nursery rhyme. This mother-daughter day idea might lead to discovering a new favourite song or artist.
12. Stargazing: Hang out on your trampoline or simply lay on a blanket in your backyard to watch the stars. Brighten up the night as your daughter’s eyes shine with curiosity and adoration for the starry night sky.
13. Listen to Her Read Her Favourite Story Book: Help your child gain confidence in her reading skills. Daily reading is important for academic growth and it’s a lovely part of a daily routine with younger kids.
14. Question and Answer: Have a chit-chat with your daughter about whatever you feel like. Think of a conversation starter that will open up other interesting topics. Allow them to ask questions and encourage curiosity and discovery.
15. Work On A Puzzle: Start a jigsaw puzzle together and work on it for a few minutes each day so you can watch your progress as you work towards completing it.
16. Plant a seed: Add a little learning to your quality time by planting flower or vegetable seeds. Observing the plant’s growth would be a lovely daily mother-daughter activity and you will have the chance to teach her responsibility in a fun way too.
17. Random act of kindness: Do a random act of kindness together, such as making a sweet card for Dad or decorating a corner of a bedroom for a little brother. This might even be dropping cookies off for a neighbour together.
18. Fold clothes from the laundry: Do chores together! Young ones should be taught simple household chores in preparation for adulthood. Folding clothes is a great start and you can turn it into a cleaning game to see who folds their pile the fastest.
19. Watch the sunrise: Greet the sun first thing in the morning. It would definitely be a magical moment for your daughter, especially if it’s just the two of you awake before the rest of the family.
20. Call Grandparents: Phone or video calls make catching up easier than before. Let your daughter build a connection with her grandparents even when they are far away. This will also help them learn the importance of family relationships and that love has no bounds.
21. Morning walks with your dog: If you have a pet dog, make it a chance to spend time together each day getting exercise for you both and the dog. Plus it’s a chance to talk and get some fresh air.
22. Play with dolls: Let Barbie join you on a fun mother-daughter date! Playing with dolls could also help your daughter test their imagination and story-telling skills. Plus it’s so much fun when Mum finds time to play.
23. Morning cuddles: To wake up in the arms of someone you love is an instant serotonin boost. Greet each other with morning cuddles to start the day right! My youngest often climbs into bed for a morning snuggle and it’s my favourite way to start the day.
24. Cook Breakfast: Mornings in the kitchen are much better with your daughter involved. Create a before-school routine together that includes making breakfast.
25. Make a bucket list: Spend 15 minutes creating a family bucket list together with new things you want to try and places you want to go. You could get specific and make a mummy-daughter day bucket list.
Mother-Daugther Date Ideas To Treat Yourselves
Some of the best mother daughter activities that incorporate both self-care and quality time is treating yourselves together.
No matter your age, self-care is essential and these mummy-daughter date ideas are the perfect way to have one-on-one time while also showing her how important it is to prioritise herself.
26. Get Ice Cream: A mother-daughter day is better with ice cream! Treat yourselves to a delightful dessert in different flavours, especially during the summer.
27. Go On a Shopping Spree: Splurge once in a while with your daughter. Be their fairy godmother for a day and get her a new outfit and accessories. Or if that’s out of the budget, have fun trying outfits on or window shopping instead.
28. Get Pedicures: Introduce your younger daughter or teenager to a self-care treat that will pamper their feet.
29. Give Each Other A Manicure: Have fun with treating each other to hand massages and painting each other’s fingernails. Nail art sounds wonderful as well!
30. Have A Home Day Spa: Wear robes while both of you have face masks on. You can give each other a massage or soak your feet in the tub. So relaxing!
31. Enjoy A High Tea: A little lady should experience a high tea at least once in their life. Indulge in delicious tea, scrumptious sandwiches, baked goods, quiche, and more.
32. Bake Together: You could prepare the high tea menu yourselves or just have fun in the kitchen. Bake pastries, cookies, muffins, cakes or whatever your sweet tooth desires.
33. Order Food Delivery: Allowing yourselves to be lazy for a day is also a treat itself. Call for food delivery and ensure that both of your favourites and cravings are ordered.
34. Buy Matching Jewellery: Matching necklaces, bracelets, and earrings can symbolise your closeness to one another and will make your daughter feel extra special.
35. Shop for matching clothes: Going for matchy-matchy clothes is adorable when you have a little lady. Your mini-version would certainly love the idea of having matching clothes with you. Your teen, not so much!
36. Cook a family favourite recipe: It’s time to pass down the family favourite recipe! Your daughter would most likely have a lot of questions in the kitchen. Cooking together will help both of you learn more about each other as the conversation progresses.
37. Visit the beach: Take her out for a walk on the beach. The quick getaway is. a great break away from screens and a chance to enjoy the natural scenery. Even in winter, a beach walk can be lovely.
38. Movie night: Watching your favourite Disney movies or classics from your childhood with your daughter helps relive the magic which will let you relate to them on another level.
39. Tea party: Have your own tea party for two at home. Bake some delicious treats together or get some from your favourite local coffee shop to enjoy at home.
40. Pyjama day: It’s okay to be lazy for a day! Be in the comfort of your pyjamas while hanging out at home. It’s even more fun when mother and daughter have matching pyjamas!
41. Hair Care: Educating your child about the importance of self-care can start with the hair. Apply hair treatments on each other’s hair and engage in a conversation while waiting for your hair to absorb the goodness. Give each other scalp massages for some ultimate indulgence.
42. Dine at Your Favourite Restaurant: Head to your favourite restaurant, whether it’s a five-star restaurant or your family’s favourite fast food chain!
43. Dress Up: Doll yourselves up before going out or for no apparent reason. It’s exciting and fun to dress up together. You can also let your daughter style you to add more excitement to the bonding activity.
44. Visit the farmer’s market together: Introduce your daughter to the joy of the local farmer’s market. Pick up fresh produce and sample yummy offerings from the food trucks.
45. Go out for Brunch: Going out for brunch feels like a sophisticated activity and your oldest daughter will especially love this idea.
46. Pool day: Relax in the pool as both of you lay on a floaty or a lounger. It’s the perfect summer activity at a resort, home pool, the local community pool or a cute inflatable pool in your backyard.
47. Indoor Picnics: Eat snacks together, but make it an indoor picnic. It’s a fantastic alternative whenever picnic plans change due to the rainy weather. Set it up in the living room and play some cheerful music to lighten the mood.
48. Enjoy frozen yoghurt: Like ice cream, frozen yoghurt is an amazing comfort food to indulge in. Plus it’s essentially good for you, right?
49. Do a Yoga Class: Head to the local yoga studio with your mats or set up in front of the television for a free YouTube yoga class at home.
50. Go to the cinema: Yes, movie marathons are fun, especially while in bed. However, it’s also exciting to see the latest movie releases in the cinema. Some films are meant to be experienced on a big screen with a cinematic sound system.
51. Arts and Crafts: Teach her a hobby that will enhance her creativity. It could be painting, drawing, knitting, or DIY projects you can finish together. Visit the local craft store for inspiration or pick up supplies from your local dollar store.
Fun Mother-Daughter Day Ideas
Being a mum means making sure everyone in the family is cared for and sometimes having to be the fun police to ensure boundaries are in place. That’s why planning fun mother-daughter date ideas is the best way to remind your child that you are still super fun too!
52. Play Board Games: Take out the old family board games and have fun competing with one another. Go for Scrabble, Monopoly, or the latest fun trend. A game night is always a lot of fun with snacks and maybe you will let the other family members join in too.
53. Backyard Camping: Turn your simple days into fun-filled ones by setting up tents in your backyard. Don’t forget to make s’mores to complete the camping experience!
54. Visit An Amusement Park: Wear comfy shoes as you take your daughter to an amusement park adventure. You’ll surely spend the whole day at the theme park which might get tiring yet will leave you in high spirits.
55. Take her to an indoor playground: Join your daughter in running around an indoor playground! Show your fun side to your kid as you go through big slides, huge jungle gyms, and a vast pool of balls.
56. Start a DIY project: Mother-daughter dates can start with a simple DIY project that progress over a few days or weeks. This might even be a DIY furniture hack on a cool item you found in the thrift store.
57. Learn Pottery: Create something special for each other through pottery. Enroll in a class and exchange work as a gift.
58. Scavenger Hunt: This doesn’t have to be only a mother-daughter day idea but also a family activity. The more participants there are, the more fun you’ll have during the scavenger hunt.
59. Nerf Battle at the Backyard: Let the games begin in your very own backyard! It’s not just a mother-daughter thing but also a thrilling family summer activity.
60. Horseback Riding: Spend the day with gorgeous horses and learn equestrian together. It’ll be an exciting mother-daughter day that might inspire your child to pursue the hobby further.
61. Decorate a Cake: Creativity can also be expressed in the kitchen! Bond over cake toppers and frostings. Aside from stimulating creativity, it’s an excellent way to hone their fine motor skills.
62. Play in the rain: Enjoy the simple things in life like playing in the rain. Appreciate nature together and help them realise that a little rain won’t hurt.
63. Go to the Playground: Stop by a playground after a long walk or a visit to the farmer’s market. Allow your child to have fun and you can even join them on the swings.
64. Mother-daughter photoshoot: Go to a photo studio or you can organise a DIY studio at home. After glamming each other up, strike creative and quirky poses in front of the camera. Shoot new additions for your family photo album.
If you are a mother who likes to hide from the camera, do this for your daughter so she has these photographic keepsakes of your time together. It’s important!
65. Create friendship bracelets: Celebrate the friendship shared between the both of you by creating and exchanging friendship bracelets.
66. Redecorate your daughter’s bedroom: Ask your daughter about their dream bedroom then enjoy the mission of redecorating the space together.
67. Bike Ride: Cruise around the neighbourhood or the local park on a bike ride. It’s a refreshing mother-daughter activity that is good for both physical health and mental health
68. Play Sports: If you’re an outgoing and sporty mum, playing the sport you excel at is the perfect bonding activity for both of you. It might reveal that they inherited your skills in badminton, basketball, tennis, swimming, or baseball. Or get out of your comfort zone and try a whole new sport together.
69. Nature Walk: For a therapeutic mother-daughter day, going for a nature walk is the best idea. Teach your child to connect with nature on a hike or just a walk through the local park.
70. Paint a portrait of each other: Paint portraits and surprise each other with the outcome. You’ll either end up in fits of laughter or be left in awe.
71. Volunteer at an Animal Shelter: Extend care to the animals from an animal shelter, rescue centre, or rehab. This is a great opportunity to educate your daughter about the impact giving back to others, including animals in need, can have.
72. Trampoline Park: Jump to your heart’s content in trampoline parks! The place will be filled with laughter as each jump elevates you and your daughter’s happiness.
73. Mini Golf: This is a fun outdoor or indoor activity that can also be played by the whole family. Engage kids in a healthy competition full of excitement and game faces.
74. Roller Skating: Let your daughter experience the fun of roller skating by heading to the local skating rink or getting a pair of skates each to zoom around the driveway.
75. Build a Pillow and Blanket Fort: Of course, a pillow and blanket fort is included in this list! Fairy Lights are also a whimsical addition to the fort. Snuggle in and read a book by torchlight or tell stories.
Ideas For A Mother-Daughter Day With Your Teenager
Nurturing a relationship with your daughter through the teenage years can challenging, when she’s at the age of wanting to spend her free time with her peers.
Planning mother-daughter dates with your teenage daughter will help develop a special bond and increase the likelihood of her seeking you for support when she is troubled.
As a parent, we want our teens to know that we are there for them during the good and the bad, and this makes spending time with your oldest daughters so essential!
76. Go Rock Climbing: Be extra adventurous by engaging in rock climbing. To make it less intimidating, you can start with an indoor wall-climbing venue.
77. Go To A Sporting Event: Cheer for your teams together! You’ll get closer when rooting for the same team especially when it’s a sport where your teen excels at. But it can also be fun to have some healthy competition if you go for opposing teams.
78. Spend The Night At A Hotel Together: Book a hotel room where you can hang out and talk to each other all night. Both of you can even enjoy hotel amenities together and act like besties on a vacation getaway. Don’t forget the room service!
79. Go On A Mini Road Trip: Pump up the gas and familiarise your teen with the parts of town they haven’t been to. Blast some road trip songs to make you sing at the top of your lungs as you stop at new places.
80. Take A Cooking Class: Learn a new recipe and enhance your cooking skills. You’re giving her valuable skills for becoming an adult plus having fun while you’re at it.
81. Attend a concert: Your daughter will adore the chance to attend a concert for an artist she loves! Turn it into the ultimate mother-daughter date night and have the best time singing your hearts out!
82. Visit Tourist Spots in Your Town: Pick a tourist spot in your town that your daughter will definitely love. Allowing them to explore and being part of the experience makes the trip more special for them.
83. College Tour: Be involved with their future decisions. Show them options by taking them on a university or college tour.
84. Weekend Getaway: Book a flight out of town and be each other’s travel buddy. It’s not just a weekend getaway, but also a chance to connect with your teenager and create lifelong memories with them.
85. Sit and Talk: Teenagers may seem aloof at times but all they really need is a good listener who isn’t there to criticise. Have a meaningful conversation where they can easily open up. Make them feel safe, without judgement as they share their stories, troubles, and dreams.
86. Karaoke Night: Let music connect the both of you by singing duet songs! Choose a piece that is fun to sing and you both love.
87. Teach Them How to Drive: If your teenager already got their learner’s permit, you can take them for a test drive. Teaching them to drive can be stressful for some parents so make sure you’re ready for it.
88. Declutter the Closet: Help them declutter clothes they have outgrown or no longer love. Reward them with a shopping trip for a new item or help your teen make some money by selling their unwanted items
89. Makeup Lessons: Your teenager might still be your baby girl but is soon to be an adult too! Have fun with makeup lessons and you can also give them their very first makeup kit.
90. Create a Scrapbook: A collaborative scrapbook project is a lovely mother-daughter day activity. This can be a traditional scrapbook or a digital version.
91. Build a Vision Board: Get to know her future plans by helping her build a vision board. This encourages your teen to dream big and allows you to talk about your shared dreams too.
92. Sleepovers: Wear your matching pyjamas and join your daughter for a sleepover together. You can set up sleeping bags in the living room or set up an indoor tent for bonus points!
93. Attend a Class Together: Aside from cooking classes, there are other hobbies both of you can enjoy. It can be about learning foreign languages, candle-making, flower arrangement, acrylic painting, and more.
94. Gardening: Care for the plants both of you nurtured since they were seeds. It can become an ongoing mother-daughter activity that you can both take a special interest in.
95. Take a trip down memory lane: Time flies so fast that your little girl has already grown into a little lady. It’ll be a heartwarming moment to take a trip down memory lane together. Both of you might even shed a tear or two.
96. Mini Book Club: If you and your daughter are certified bookworms, then a book club at home is a great date idea! Have a fun and interesting exchange of reviews after reading the same book.
97. Visit an Art Gallery: Feast your eyes on majestic artworks in different forms. It’s a great idea for mothers and daughters that have a deep appreciation for various masterpieces.
98. Indoor Fashion Show: Create a DIY platform or just flaunt your fashionista looks down the hallway. Grace the catwalk at home and have plenty of laughs while you’re at it.
99. Create a Time Capsule: Fill the time capsule with letters, photos, a trinket, or any cherished item. Have an agreement about when will the both of you open the time capsule together. It’s a fun and meaningful activity, which the two of you will anticipate in the future.
100. Spa Day: Head to the local day spa for manicures, pedicures and facials or enjoy a relaxing massage for the ultimate fun day together. Older daughters will adore this special treat.
101. Visit a Museum: Educate your daughter outside of school and your home. Museum dates are perfect, especially for a child that is curious about the world.
If it’s mother-daughter day ideas you’re looking for, you’re sure to find the perfect activities on this list. These mother daughter dates are a great way to nurture your special relationship and prepare you for those sometimes turbulent teen years when this bond will be essential.
Read next: Father-daughter day ideas
Find more fun family activity ideas:
- Valentine’s Day activities for families
- Fun Father’s Day activities
- Valentine’s Day gifts to give kids
- 100 fun things to do at home with your kids
- 100 fun things to do in your backyard
- Free date ideas
- Fun at home date ideas
- LEGO play & educational activities for kids
- Screen-free activities for families
Save it to Pinterest