This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure
Parents know that love for our children isn’t pulled, stretched and thinned like playdough, it just continues to grow and encompass each new person that joins our family. But kids don’t always know this!
These sibling gifts from new baby brother or sister can help minimise the insecurities! Having a new younger sibling is a big change for everyone in the family, especially if it is the first time your child is becoming an older sibling from their only child status!
These sibling gift ideas can help bring a sense of positivity and extra excitement once the baby arrives.
How To Prepare Your Child For A New Baby Sibling
Faced with a child’s perspective of a growing and changing family, it can be challenging to help a child understand.
Kids are such a mixed bag of emotions in these formative years that big changes can sometimes be overwhelming.
And so, parents intrepidly stumble through yet ANOTHER test of our creativity, patience, and stress levels as we desperately try to avoid the emotional beast that threatens our family’s peace: New sibling jealousy.
Ultimately, the answer is always this: Make them comfortable. Make them happy. Make them feel special. Give them quality time.
And do what you can to build your connection!
Here are some great ways to prepare your toddler or child for a new baby:
- Talk to them – Start the conversation early, even if you think they might be too little to understand. Make it easy for them to open up about the upcoming changes.
- Use visuals – Picture books are a wonderful way of helping bigger siblings to understand the changes happening.
- Spend time with babies – If you know someone who has a baby, make time to spend with them. If not, go places where your child will be around other families with babies to give them a chance to have some exposure.
- Get them involved – Have them help you with the planning of the nursery, the pregnancy announcement and prep.
Why Gifts Are A Great Way To Avoid New Baby Jealousy
Gift-giving and receiving always delights kids, so what better way to engage the older sibling in their newfound role than with a perfect gift from the baby!
In a time of great change, the new sibling gift for the older child can have a very meaningful impact.
Big sibling gifts from the new baby can achieve so many goals in one hit including:
- The joy of a new toy can help to soothe the older sibling’s mood and unease about the baby;
- Fun, happy and engaging toys that depict a family unit can provide interactive education about families;
- Art-based toys can provide the child with a creative emotional outlet;
- They feel special – I mean, nobody else got a gift from the baby!
Wondering what your place now is within your family unit can cause a struggle of confidence for many children.
While for others, the transition seems relatively easy and they are excited to welcome their new future best friend into their lives.
Helping your child to develop their resilience skills prior to the arrival of the new baby can also help ease them into their new role.
Ideas For Older Sibling Gifts From Baby – Toddler Gifts
Toddlers are at an age where they are still coming to grips with their emotions.
A gifted toy from the new baby is a good way to soothe the extremes of their emotions and assist them to gently bond with their new sibling.
Check out these gift ideas from baby to older sibling grouped into age, to make your gifting easier!
Here are some great new baby gift ideas for Toddler siblings:
Their Own Baby & Doll Stroller
Giving a toddler a baby of their own to care for will help them imitate and understand caring for a baby within a family. You can encourage them to mirror you caring for their new sibling by doing the same with their baby doll.
This can also help with occupying some of the time they normally had alone with you before their new sibling arrived.
No matter what age, playdough is a terrific educational tool and emotional outlet. Whether they build what they see or smoosh it out of frustration, Playdough is a fun gift!
You can even make your own homemade playdough with glitter or in their favourite colours!
Ideas For Older Sibling Gifts From Baby – Pre-Schooler
Pre-Schoolers are typically better than toddlers at managing their emotions but have had you to themselves for a good long stretch. A gift from the new baby can assist them to understand and feel more comfortable with their changing family.
Here are some great ideas for gifts for Pre-Schooler siblings:
Doll Families & Doll Houses
There are some beautiful sets of wooden dolls for young children to explore the concept of growing families and the interactions of family members within the home.
Younger children express themselves most effectively through play, which makes family playsets a perfect opportunity to encourage this.
Sylvanian Families and Calico Critters are cute animal alternatives for family playsets and dollhouses.
A simple gift that will delight the artistic pre-schooler (or even school-age) siblings are creative frames. Set them loose creating a masterpiece that will house a photo of them with their new Little Sibling.
Find more picture books about becoming a big brother or sister to help your child understand about their growing family.
Ideas For Older Sibling Gifts From New Baby – Primary School Age
Older kids may likely be well aware that the baby didn’t LITERALLY pick out that gift for them, but the ceremony surrounding the gift lets them know how special it is to be an older sibling.
It is also a reminder to them that you are thinking about their feelings through the transition, which is important for opening that channel of communication between parents and older siblings.
Here are some great ideas for gifts for Primary School Age siblings:
Gifts For The Big Sister
Little girls love a bit of bling, so a big sister necklace is a keepsake that a little girl will adore and wear with pride! This is a great way to let the new big sister know just how important she is by giving her one of these great big sister gift ideas from the new baby.
For an extra special gift idea, there are some beautiful personalised big sister necklaces and jewellery sets on Etsy that are sure to be treasured for many years to come!
Journals To Document Thoughts
Draw & Write Journals are a great place for primary-age kids to feel they can safely express their frustrations and excitement, whether it be written or drawn! It does not need to be anything fancy either.
Check out these incredible growth and gratitude journals for kids and tips for developing a daily gratitude practice.
Alternatively, a cute notebook with lined or blank pages works great for giving older kids somewhere to express themselves. Journals make great big sister or big brother and are perfect gift ideas gifts for older child when baby is born.
Let them know (in such a fun way) that they’re super important to their new baby sibling, with a statement shirt.
And you can even find matching shirts and romper sets for added sweetness too!
Although these great gift ideas may not completely deter new sibling jealousy, they are indeed an important step in the transition to becoming a big brother or sister.
You can find lots of cool options for both an older sister and an older brother, with a matching little brother and little sister option for the new baby.
Big Brother Or Big Sister Tote Bag
These adorable big brother and big sister tote bags are a fun idea for creating your own older sibling survival kit, filled with a few smaller gifts such as a book, a toy and some thoughtful items they will love.
You could even create your own older sibling coupon booklet that your older child can redeem when they are in need of special time with you.
Baby Shower Gifts For Older Siblings
If you are attending a baby shower to celebrate the soon arrival of a new baby for a family member or friend and you want to get the older sibling a gift, here are some fun ideas perfect for big brothers and big sisters:
Get a matching set for mum, baby and sibling (they have dad options too) for a fun baby shower gift for the whole family.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- Books about becoming a big brother or sister
- How to make life easier with a newborn
- Valentine’s Day gifts to give your children
- How to motivate your child to read
- Raising confident daughters
- Tips for bonding with your child
- How to help your child build their resilience
- Fun ways to entertain kids at home
- Summer pregnancy tips to beat the heat
- Fun ways to play in the backyard
- Gratitude books for kids
- Fun ways to announce your pregnancy
- Clever gender reveal ideas
Check out these gift guides for every occasion:
- Gifts for active kids
- 101+ non-toy gifts for kids
- Teacher gifts they actually want
- Gifts for people who love to cook
- Last-minute Mother’s Day gift ideas
- DIY Father’s Day gift ideas
- Last-minute Father’s Day gift ideas
- DIY Valentine’s Day gift ideas
- Older sibling gifts from new baby
- New mother gifts
- Non-chocolate Easter gifts
- Unique stocking stuffer gifts under $15
- Gifts to give a whole family
- Gifts for men who have everything
- Clutter-free gift ideas
- Gifts that keep on giving
- Subscription boxes for families
- Experience gifts for kids
- Class gifts for kids
- Gifts for newborn babies
- Handmade gifts kids can make