There is nothing easier than grabbing a rotisserie chicken from the store for an easy family meal, but what do you do with the leftover rotisserie chicken once dinner is finished? Don’t let those leftovers go to waste. These rotisserie chicken recipes are the perfect way to repurpose it and extend your roast chicken for another day or two.
Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Recipes
A popular choice for dinner on those busy weeknights between school finishing and after school activities, the rotisserie chicken is already cooked and ready to eat. Although once you check out this list of leftover chicken recipes, you won’t look at that rotisserie chicken the same again.
With so many options for the leftovers, you might find yourself adding them into your regular meal planning rotation! And you can easily convert your favourite recipes using chicken into leftover dinners, switching out the chicken breast or thighs for shredded roast chicken.
But first, let’s quickly cover the essentials – how long your chicken leftovers will keep and how to store them until you repurpose them into a new delicious meal or two.
How Long With A Rotisserie Chicken Keep For?
Properly stored and chilled, a rotisserie chicken will keep up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. And when it comes to chicken, you want to take care to maintain proper food safety practices to avoid illness.
Ensure your chicken leftovers are prepared for storage and moved into the refrigerator within 2 hours of having it at room temperature, i.e. once you leave the grocery store. If left out for longer, it may be safer to discard of your leftovers to avoid illness.
How To Store Leftover Rotisserie Chicken
To maximise the refrigerator shelf life of a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, for both safety and food quality, refrigerate the rotisserie chicken in a shallow sealed container, or multiple containers if needed. If you do not have a container to suit, or you want to store it as a whole chicken, tightly wrap with heavy-duty aluminium foil or cling wrap.
Ensure your refrigerator is set to 4-5 degrees Celsius or below 40F.
If you wish to freezer your chicken leftovers for later use, freeze in an airtight container or use a suitable heavy-duty freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Leftover Chicken Salad Recipes
There is nothing easier than putting together a quick leftover rotisserie chicken salad for lunch the next day or for a light family dinner idea. These chicken salad recipes are packed with flavour and are a great way to enjoy cold chicken leftovers straight out of the refrigerator.
- Orzo and Chicken Salad – This orzo salad with shredded chicken, bell peppers, olives, and a wholegrain mustard dressing is such a wonderful recipe.
- Healthy Chinese Chicken Salad – This Chinese chicken salad is made with leftover rotisserie chicken and crunchy vegetables like cabbage, carrots, sprouts, and snap peas! An easy, healthy recipe served with a light vinaigrette.
- Fruited Chicken Salad With Grapes & Cashews – This Chicken Salad with grapes & cashews is an easy, flavorful way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. Great in a sandwich or all by itself!
- Yucatan-Inspired Spinach Salad with Chicken and Citrus – A healthy new way to use rotisserie or leftover chicken, this Yucatan-Inspired Spinach Salad with Chicken and Citrus features fresh produce like oranges, jicama, and avocado tossed with a chipotle-citrus vinaigrette. This healthy, flavourful spinach salad can be on your table in less than 30 minutes!
- Pasta Salad With Orzo – Orzo chicken salad is a perfect way to repurpose leftover chicken. Perfect for packing into lunch boxes or taking on a picnic.
- Curry Chicken Salad – Create the perfect curried chicken sandwiches with this simple salad, or enjoy the salad on its own as a yummy lunch idea the day after your roast chicken dinner.
- Honey Mustard Chicken Pasta Salad – Enjoy your favourite honey mustard flavours with this easy chicken pasta salad recipe.
- Buffalo Chicken Salad – Serve up this flavour-packed buffalo chicken salad on a wrap or sandwich with salad for a next day lunch recipe, perfect for lunch boxes or home.
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad – Enjoy the vibrant flavours of this Vietnamese inspired salad, with an Asian dressing and plenty of crunch.
Chicken Casserole Recipes
When you want hearty dinner recipes, a chicken casserole hits all the right places. These easy recipes are also great for cooking in larger batches if you have a lot of leftover chicken, or are planning ahead with meals you can make and freezer for busy week nights.
- Crispy Leftover Chicken and Shells Casserole – This Crispy Chicken and Shells Casserole is perfect for any type of leftover chicken.
- Ritz Chicken Casserole – All you need for this creamy Ritz Chicken Casserole is some leftover chicken and 5 other simple ingredients for a delicious dinner.
- Chicken Black Beans Salsa Corn Casserole – Use up your leftover roast chicken, salsa, tortillas and corn in this family-pleasing casserole.
- Cheesy Crustless Chicken Pot Pie Casserole – This is the best cheesy CRUSTLESS chicken pot pie casserole which can be made with leftover chicken.
Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Tacos & Mexican Dishes
If you have a favourite recipe for tacos, enchiladas, burritos or other Mexican dish favourites, you can easily swap out the protein with your chicken leftovers instead. Mexican food is often a popular choice for easy weeknight dinners. We have tacos or similar at least once a week most weeks so these Mexican inspired chicken recipes are sure to be a hit!
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas – These healthy chicken enchiladas are a delicious, lighter alternative to the classic enchilada dish. Just as creamy, but made with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream!
- Baked Chicken Tacos – Enjoy oven-baked chicken tacos for a simple make and bake meal that doesn’t require a lot of prep time in the kitchen.
- Easy Chicken Quesadillas – Make these Easy Mexican Chicken Quesadillas with leftover rotisserie chicken (or home-cooked chicken). This is an easy 20-minute dinner you can make when you get home from work. It can also be made ahead as they freeze well! These can be gluten-free if you use a gluten-free flour tortillas.
- Creamy Green Chile Enchiladas – Green Chile Enchiladas are a creamy, decadent way to use up your leftover roast turkey or rotisserie chicken. The green chile cream sauce is out of this world!
- Keto Chicken Enchiladas – These Keto Chicken Enchiladas are packed with so much flavour! Perfectly seasoned chicken topped with enchilada sauce and gooey cheese. This Mexican inspired dish will be hard to resist, even for those non-keto family members!
- Chicken Mole Nachos – You’re going to love these Chicken Mole Nachos! It’s the tastiest and easiest recipes to make, using leftover chicken.
- Entomatadas de Pollo (Chicken Entomatadas) – Chicken Entomatadas are a great way to use up leftover chicken. These tomato enchiladas are super tasty and incredibly flavorful. Top with queso fresco and enjoy!
- Chicken Teriyaki Tacos – With a pre-made (or homemade) teriyaki sauce, tortilla wraps and salad, you can put together these chicken tacos in under 15 minutes.
- Keto Verde Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas – This recipe includes how to make your own homemade tortillas in under 10 minutes, or just use store tortillas instead for a quick dinner idea.
- White Chicken Enchiladas – These delicious enchiladas with creamy white sauce are the ultimate comfort food family dinner.
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas – These Baked Chicken Chimichangas are the perfect way to use leftover chicken and stock your freezer. Assemble them and freeze before baking or bake them immediately for a deliciously easy dinner!
Instant Pot & Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
If you are a fan of simplifying your cooking time with your favourite gadget, having a few go-to slow cooker and instant pot chicken recipes are great to have in your rotation. These kitchen gadgets can save a load of time, especially when you can prep early in the day and have dinner ready to eat in the evening. Time to do something new with that juicy rotisserie chicken.
- Instant Pot Cream Of Chicken Soup – This Instant Pot cream of chicken soup recipe is great for using up leftover rotisserie chicken. With this recipe, you don’t need to reach for a can to make an easy and delicious kid-friendly soup on a busy weeknight.
- Instant Pot Gluten-Free Chicken Stew – This homemade gluten-free chicken stew cooks up quickly in the Instant Pot. Full of flavour, this makes a filling family dinner.
- Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Pho Ga – Slow-Cooker Rotisserie Chicken Pho Ga makes the most of your rotisserie chicken. Use store-bought or homemade. This recipe uses the entire chicken carcass and leftover chicken.
Chicken Soup Recipes
During winter, having a few delicious soup recipes are going to save you so much time with cooking dinner and keep everyone warm on those cold nights at home. Leftover rotisserie chicken is great for soup since it keeps the meat moist and tender.
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup – This creamy Greek lemon soup features rotisserie chicken, dill, and tempered eggs for a satisfying dairy-free 20-minute dinner recipe.
- Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup – This creamy chicken and wild rice soup is hearty and simple with a classic base of onions, carrots and celery in a flavorful creamy broth with mushrooms, nutty wild rice and leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Vegetable / Chicken and Rice Peasant Soup – This Chicken and Rice Soup is loaded with vegetables and comfort, and perfect for leftover chicken.
- Leftover Chicken Taco Soup – Spice up leftover chicken! Create an entirely new meal! This easy chicken taco soup recipe is just so satisfying & flavorful, with a bit of underlying heat.
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup – Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup is a great way to spice up some leftover chicken! The chicken simmers with chipotle peppers and black beans along with a bit of kale for a flavourful, healthy soup topped with avocado.
- Avgolemono (Greek Lemon Chicken Soup) – A rich yet light Greek chicken-rice soup flavoured with fresh lemon juice and thickened slightly with egg.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – This tortilla soup is loaded with leftover rotisserie chicken, green chillies, fresh cilantro, and a combination of rich Mexican spices, allowing you to make it a little or a lot spicy, to your preference.
- Chicken Paprikash Soup – This uniquely flavoured paprika soup is so creamy and delicious but still light and healthy enough for a wholesome meal. Plus, it has instructions for using leftover rotisserie chicken and cooking your own chicken so you’ve got options!
Chicken Pasta and Rice Recipes
Pasta and rice are great meals for making ahead and freezing for later, but they also work just as well for getting on the table relatively quickly for weeknight meals. Best of all, these type of meals often means leftovers if you double up your ingredients and that can mean another family dinner or lunches for work and school the next day too.
- Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel – This leftover chicken pasta dish is comfort food at its best with creamy cheese, chicken pieces, tomatoes and a bit of spice.
- Gluten-Free Chicken Tetrazzini – This creamy gluten-free chicken tetrazzini recipe is a great way to use up that leftover chicken! It makes a great quick and easy kid-friendly meal.
- Gluten-Free Chicken Fried Rice – This recipe for 10 Minute Gluten-Free Chicken Fried Rice is such an easy recipe to throw together after a busy workday and even easier when you don’t have to cook the chicken from scratch!
- One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta – One pan (or pot) meals are always a great time saver and less cleaning up afterwards and this cajun chicken pasta is no exception. On the dinner table in under half an hour.
- Easy Creamy Chicken Pasta Bake – Easy Creamy Chicken Pasta Bake – leftover chicken, smoky bacon and pasta all coated in a simple 2 ingredient cheese sauce.
- Chicken And Bacon Pasta Bake – This Chicken And Bacon Pasta Bake is a true family favourite. Chicken, bacon and sweetcorn mixed with cheese sauce and pasta and baked till golden…. SO YUMMY!
- Chicken Broccoli Pasta Bake – You’ll be happy to have leftover chicken when you can make this Delicious Chicken Broccoli Pasta Bake. Loaded with cheese and cream this is a super easy and extremely satisfying dinner dish.
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells – Use up your leftover chicken in this Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells as a hearty dinner for the whole family.
Chicken Curry Recipes
Chicken curry is great for using up leftover chicken pieces and it will save your time with cooking up your curry as well since your meat is already pre-cooked. This is a good option for adding extra vegetables into the family meal, and you can make your curry as mild or as spicy as you like.
- Coconut Chicken Curry – Switch out the chicken breasts for your leftover rotisserie chicken in this flavourful coconut chicken curry recipe, loaded with veggies and protein.
- Leftover Chicken Curry – This Leftover Chicken Curry is a great way to spice up those leftovers! This is the perfect meal for adding some extra life to your chicken.
Rotisserie Chicken Pie Recipes
Chicken pie loaded with veggies, gravy or a creamy sauce is a delicious meal idea and relatively easy to make too. With crisp golden puff pastry or a chicken Shepherds pie variation, there is a pie recipe to suit every taste preference.
- Sage Chicken Pot Pie with Roasted Vegetables – Chicken pot pie with roasted pumpkin, cauliflower, carrots and a touch of roasted garlic swimming in a rich creamy gravy! This hearty chicken pie is perfect for winter weeknight dinners.
- Chicken Pot Pie with Buttermilk Biscuit Crust – This chicken pot pie with buttermilk biscuit crust is such a tasty way to use up leftover chicken! Got lots of extra chicken? No problem! This recipe has instructions for freezing so you can stash an extra meal in your freezer for later.
- Pastilla (Moroccan Pie) – Pastilla is a delicious layered Moroccan savoury pie that when adapted as here, is also perfect to use some leftover chicken. The filling is delicious and the crisp filo outside rounds it off perfectly.
- Skillet Chicken Pot Pie – Craving comfort food? Use your leftover cooked chicken to make a hearty chicken pot pie in a skillet on the stovetop.
- Shepherd’s Pie With Chicken (Or Turkey) – Shepherd’s pie with leftover chicken is a scrumptious meal the whole family loves! This easy casserole dinner is fresh veggies in a creamy white gravy topped with mashed potatoes and baked to perfection.
Leftover Chicken Pizza Recipes
Who doesn’t love pizza? Whether you are making your own homemade pizza dough from scratch, using a store-made base or trying an alternative base such as a flatbread, a tortilla wrap or pita pocket, you can easily add chicken into your favourite pizza topping combination. Not sure what to add? Try these pizza recipes instead.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza With Roasted Poblano Peppers – Next time, use your leftover chicken on this BBQ Chicken Pizza. It’s packed with flavour with your favourite BBQ sauce, roasted poblano peppers and pepitas. Such a simple recipe.
- CPK Copycat Thai Chicken Pizza – This dairy-free copycat Thai pizza is packed with veggies and a delicious peanut sauce. But you can still add cheese if you want to!
Other Ideas For Using Leftover Rotisserie Chicken
In case you need even more leftover rotisserie chicken recipes, you will have plenty more inspiration here. These recipes are sure to give you plenty of reason to pick up another roasted chicken from the grocery store soon, just so you can have an excuse to repurpose those leftovers into so many different recipe options.
- Easy White Chicken Chilli – Use your leftover chicken to make this creamy white chicken chili recipe! It’s loaded with fresh peppers (3 varieties!), corn, and lots of beans. Don’t worry about leftovers, they taste even better the next day!
- Chicken & Mushroom Crepes – Put that leftover rotisserie chicken to good use in my Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Crepe recipe. Creamy bechamel sauce, sauteed mushrooms and my foolproof crepe recipe make this a winner of a chicken dinner!
- Healthy Mole Verde Bowls – What to do with all that lovely leftover roasted chicken? Healthy Mole Verde Bowls are a flavorful, Mexican-inspired, and easy way to use that lean protein-rich chicken! Easy mole Verde sauce combined with your chicken, black beans and roasted root vegetables is ready in 30 minutes and may redefine your idea of “leftovers”.
- Chicken With Dried Figs & Mashed Potato – Make your leftover chicken go far in this delicious Chicken with Dried figs and Mashed potatoes recipe! The secret is in the amazing flavour you get from combining caramelized onions and dried figs.
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread with Bacon – Much like homemade pizza, except you don’t have to spend ages making the base. Use a simple flatbread instead.
- Chicken Avocado Sandwich – You can’t get much easier than a sandwich and this avocado chicken sandwich is a perfect healthy lunch idea.
- Spicy Chicken Ramen – This spicy chicken ramen is a perfect winter warmer, with flavour-loaded broth, leftover chicken and of course, all the other ramen essentials you love. Ready in under 20 minutes, this is a quick mid-week dinner idea.
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps With Hoisin Sauce – Give your chicken a flavour punch with this homemade hoisin sauce, as a healthy dinner idea perfect for warm weather.
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken Bowl – Recreate this Chipotle copycat recipe at home for a healthy meal idea, loaded with flavour and nourishment.
- Skillet Lasange – Enjoy this simple chicken lasagne variation, made in a skillet. This is a quicker alternative to a traditional oven-baked lasagne and you can personalise what you add to it.
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Baked Potatoes – Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Baked Potatoes are creamy ranch twice baked potatoes topped with a buffalo chicken stuffing and a sprinkling of colby jack cheese. These filling stuffed baked potatoes with chicken can be either a main or a side dish.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip – Buffalo Chicken Dip can be made using leftover chicken or fresh roasted chicken. It is super versatile and so easy to make.
Next time you’ve got leftover rotisserie chicken after a quick family dinner, you can easily create something delicious the whole family will love with the extras. This budget-friendly roast chicken is a perfect way to reduce cooking and prep time during those busy weeks at home and help you get dinners on the table that everyone will want to eat! Even the fussy eaters…
Need more leftover ideas? Check these out:
Pin It For Later