Who doesn’t love pizza? It’s the perfect comfort food for a quick and easy meal. But what do you serve with pizza? Here are some delicious pizza side dishes that will take your pizza night at home or pizza party to the next level!
Having some good side dishes to pair with your Italian feast is a great way to turn your simple meal into something to suit all taste buds. In case you are looking for more sides inspiration check out these side dishes for fish, tacos, soup, chicken wings, pulled pork and ham.
What To Serve With Pizza
Pizza is one of the easiest meals there are. You can easily just enjoy a pizza on its own and that’s more than substantial for a meal, but sometimes it’s nice to mix it up with some pizza side dishes and appetisers.
Whether you are looking to add some healthy sides to your next pizza night at home or add variety to a pizza party to ensure you are catering to all tastes and diets, adding some extra dishes can be a great way to add different flavours to your meal.
Below are some of the best pizza appetisers and sides that will go great with any type of pizza!
Best Appetisers For Pizza
Turn your pizza night into a multi-course meal by starting with some appetisers before pizza. This is great if you are hosting a casual pizza dinner with friends or family and want to have some light bites before the main dish.
Whether you are looking for appetisers for a celebration or to turn your easy dinner into a multi-course meal, these pizza appetisers also work just as well as delicious side dishes alongside your pizzas!
Here are some favourite appetisers to serve with pizza:
- Garlic Bread: This is a classic for a reason! Garlic bread is the perfect way to start off your pizza meal. It’s easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser! Garlic cheese bread is a delicious option too.
- Bruschetta: This is a classic Italian appetiser that is so easy to make! Start by slicing up some bread into thin pieces, then top with diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil and basil.
- Jalapeno Poppers – These are a great appetiser if you like your food with a bit of a kick! Stuffed jalapeno peppers with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon for a spicy starter.
- Mozzarella Sticks – These are always a hit, especially with kids! Who doesn’t love fried mozzarella cheese? Serve with a tasty side of marinara sauce for dipping. Try this air fryer mozzarella stick recipe.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – Soup is a perfect choice during winter as a first course before pizza. The creaminess of this mushroom soup goes really well with the doughy pizza crust that follows.
- Cheesy Breadsticks – These cheesy ranch breadsticks are easy to make and won’t last long, loaded with flavours of garlic butter and topped with cheese!
Healthy Pizza Sides
There’s no denying that pizza isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when planning a healthy meal. That’s not to say pizza can’t be healthy, but most of the time it’s those comforting flavours of pizza base, sauce, melted cheese and toppings that make pizza the beloved meal that it is.
So if you would rather keep your favourite pizza just the way it is, adding some healthy sides is a great way to eat less pizza goodness and balance out your meal with some nutritious menu items.
Here are some delicious and healthy pizza sides:
- Green salad: Simple green salads are a perfect way to lighten up a pizza night. Add your favourite toppings to your greens like croutons, feta, olives, tomatoes, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, etc for a delicious and satisfying salad that takes just minutes to throw together. Try this spinach salad with tomatoes and feta.
- Caesar Salad: A classic Caesar salad is a great way to add some greens to your pizza night. Start with some chopped Romaine lettuce, then add croutons, shredded Parmesan cheese and a homemade Caesar dressing.
- Roasted Vegetables: Roasting vegetables is a great way to add some healthy and flavourful sides to your pizza night. Try roasted green beans, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, bell peppers, etc. These Mediterranean roast vegetables would pair perfectly with pizza.
- Zucchini Fries – These are a healthier alternative to traditional french fries with a delicious crispy outside. Serve with a side of ranch dressing or marinara sauce for dipping.
- Sweet Potato Fries – These air fryer sweet potato fries are great on their own or served with a Greek yogurt dressing for a refreshing accompaniment.
- Grilled Chicken Breast – Marinate some chicken breasts, oven bake and slice as a way of serving some extra protein alongside your pizza menu. This is a hearty side and a great option if you are entertaining some guests who may not like pizza as much.
- Fruit Salad – While you might not eat fruit salad alongside your pizza, diced seasonal fruits can make a wonderfully healthy dish to follow your cheesy pizza menu.
- Lemon Garlic Prawns – These flavour loaded garlic prawns only take a short time to make and are a perfect side, appetiser or even as a pizza topper!
Other Great Pizza Side Dishes
The perfect pizza side dish for you may not be as healthy, but they sure are delicious! These sides add a variety of flavours and textures to your pizza night.
- Macaroni and Cheese: This is classic comfort food that goes great well with pizza. Try making homemade mac and cheese such as this oven-baked mac and cheese or using a box mix for an easy dinner side option.
- Buffalo Chicken Wings: Wings are always a hit at parties, and they go great with pizza! Make your own wings or buy them pre-made to save time. Serve with some celery and blue cheese dip on the side.
- Potato Salad – Potato salad is easy to make and is a filling side dish that is always popular when entertaining. Or try this pesto potato salad for a twist on the classic recipe.
- Coleslaw – Coleslaw is a simple salad made with cabbage and other ingredients and it makes for a refreshing side that goes great with pizza. Try this KFC-inspired coleslaw recipe for an easy option.
- Pasta Salad – A cold pasta salad is a great way to add some more veggies to your pizza night. This dish can be made ahead of time and is always a crowd-pleaser! This tomato avocado pasta salad is full of sweet, juicy tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls, basil and chunks of avocado
- Onion Rings – These air fryer onion rings are super easy to make and are perfectly crispy. Eat them as they are or with your favourite dipping sauce.
- Chicken Fingers or Chicken Nuggets – This side dish is definitely for the kids (or the kid at heart)! Serve with some tomato sauce or your favourite dipping sauce.
- Tater Tots – Otherwise known as potato gems, tater tots are another easy pizza side dish that kids will love. Serve with some ketchup or sour cream on the side.
- Calamari Rings – Enjoy salt and pepper calamari in the air fryer with this simple recipe that is perfect for adding a touch of seafood to your pizza menu. Or try this oven-baked squid recipe if you don’t have an air fryer.
- French Fries – French fries are one of those sides that goes with virtually anything.
- Fish Sauce Chicken Wings – The name sounds strange but these sweet chicken wings are divine! You can make them spicy but otherwise, they are a great alternative to buffalo wings for anyone who prefers sweet over spicy flavours.
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp – These coconut prawns in the air fryer are simple to make and simply delicious! They will be a new favourite served on the side.
- Hasselback Potatoes – Thinly sliced potatoes that are brushed with butter, herbs, and garlic, and baked to perfection. These Hasselback potatoes are crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside, these potatoes make for the ultimate side dish!
Tips For Hosting A Pizza Party
A pizza party is a perfect way to feed a large group of people without having to spend hours in the kitchen. You can either DIY your pizza night with homemade pizza making or order delivery from your favourite local pizza parlour.
Calling out for pizza is always an easy option and a great way to reduce stress when planning a party by having most of the food prepared for you, but making your own pizza is so much more fun!
Here are some tips for hosting the perfect pizza party:
- Make sure you have enough pizza pans or stones to bake all the pizzas at once. If you don’t have enough, ask friends or family if you can borrow some.
- Pre-chop all your ingredients and add to bowls for easy access to pizza toppings.
- Set out a few dipping sauces like BBQ sauce, pizza sauce, ranch dressing, garlic sauce and some hot sauces for people to use.
- Plan ahead and make sure you have enough plates, napkins, cups and utensils for everyone.
- If you are making your own pizza dough, make it ahead of time so it has time to rise.
- If you have a really large group to feed, consider having both an indoor oven and an outdoor pizza oven running at once if you are able to and make sure someone is keeping an eye on both of them
- Make a couple of simple pizzas such as pepperoni, margarita or cheese pizza for people who prefer minimal toppings and for kids to enjoy.
There are so many different pizza side dishes that you can choose from, and it really depends on what you’re in the mood for. Pizza is such a versatile meal and there are endless possibilities when it comes to planning what to serve with pizza. So get creative and mix and match your favourite appetisers and sides to create the perfect pizza party for you and your guests! Or just for your next family pizza night at home!