This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure
Create your own melted upcycled Easter crayon shapes and colour in Easter cards. The perfect Easter class gifts for kids or for parties over the Easter break. This simple Easter craft idea is a fun way to use up broken crayons.
A Simple Easter Craft Idea
I don’t know what it is with crayons, but sometimes I find those little broken bits in the strangest places.
There are broken crayons at the bottom of the toy box, in my handbag, in the car, and a few stragglers left remaining my kid’s actual pencil cases.
I used to be pretty quick to throw them out, but the other day doing a cleanout of my kid’s craft supplies, I realised exactly how many of them we had and decided to repurpose them instead – Into some Easter crayon shapes they can gift to their friends!
This tutorial will show you how to melt crayons in the oven to create your own personalised crayons for Easter.
DIY EASTER CRAYON SHAPES TUTORIAL
This is a super fun and cute Easter gift idea using silicone chocolate moulds and crayons.
It makes a great class gift idea for your children’s school friends or as an Easter party favour for kids.
I’ve put together an Easter crayon shapes tutorial for you, plus have some printable Easter cards to colour!
- Crayons with paper removed
- Silicone chocolate moulds
- Baking tray
- Matte 4×6 photo paper
- Double-sided tape or sticky dots
- Optional: Chopping board and knife
How To Melt Crayons Into Shapes
1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Gather up your broken or full crayons and peel the papers off them.
3. Break your crayons into small pieces. You may wish to use a knife and a chopping board to do this, as some are harder to break than others.
4. Fill your silicone moulds with crayon pieces.
5. Place moulds in the oven on a baking tray for around 10 minutes. This will make it easier to remove once melted. Keep a close eye on them. If you leave them too long, the colours will mix together too much and you will not get the same rainbow effect of your different coloured crayons.
6. Once melted, remove baking tray with moulds from oven and leave to cool for at least half an hour to allow them to set.
7. Attach to one of my free Easter card printables using double sided tape or a sticky dot and they are ready for gifting!
This is a great upcycling project you can do with your kids, however, melting crayons in the oven will require some parental assistance for safety reasons.
Your kids will love creating their own colour combinations before melting crayons into moulds, making it a chance for them to personalise as they please with the different coloured crayon pieces.
RELATED: More kids craft ideas
Free Easter Card Printables
The Easter card printables can also be given out on their own at Easter time, without the crayon shapes.
You could pair them up with a little set of pencils or felt pens, so they can colour their own Easter cards.
To make the cards, download the printable Easter card templates below and print on 4×6 paper.
I use matte photo paper for convenience and print them at the actual size, using the photo printing section on my printer.
Download Your Printable Easter Cards Here:
You could use a word document and print multiple cards to a single page if you do not have a 4×6 printing option with your home printer. Or print via a photo lab instead, choosing matte paper so that the cards are able to be coloured in easily with crayons or pencils. Glossy photo paper is not an easy texture for colouring.
Get your Easter silicone moulds online:
I hope you love these easy to make Easter gift ideas for children.
You can use silicone moulds of any shape to make similar gifts for any occasion during the year, such as Christmas shapes, Valentine’s day hearts, or simple crayon shapes.
This is a great way to upcycle some of the crayon pieces you may otherwise throw out!
This time of year is great to give younger children plenty of learning opportunities through Easter STEM activities and craft activities that will encourage creativity and development.
You can find loads more non-chocolate Easter gift ideas here:
For more Easter fun check out these ideas:
- Free printable Easter colouring pages for kids
- Easter egg hunt ideas + free printable clues
- Easter egg fillers that aren’t candy
- Non-candy Easter basket fillers
- Delicious Easter recipes for sharing
- The best Easter picture books for kids
- Easter decorating ideas
- Easter bonnets for kids
- Easter jokes and riddles