No need to rush to the shop for your favourite savoury cheese and bacon scrolls when you can make them at home in around half an hour instead! With 2 key ingredients and your favourite cheese and bacon fillings, this is one of the easiest lunchbox recipes there is!
The Easiest Cheese And Bacon Scrolls
Growing up I was lucky enough that I almost always had a cheese and bacon roll in my lunchbox. But I mean the greasy bread roll version that had very little nutritional value. It was great though!
Cheese and bacon rolls are a favourite for many of us and they are such a quick on the go lunch or snack. But you know what is even better?
2 ingredient savoury cheese & bacon scrolls!
Why? Because those 2 ingredients are Greek yogurt and flour. A much lighter alternative to your favourite savoury bread rolls, but far better for you.
And they taste just as good!
These homemade scrolls have been on our lunch box recipe rotation for a while. You will be surprised how easy they are to make.
How To Make A Scroll
You can make scrolls with any fillings you like. Don’t feel limited to just cheese and bacon. This is our favourite savoury filling along with pizza scrolls. You can also switch it up to make sweet scrolls too!
All you need is 1 cup of Greek yogurt and 1 and a half cups of self-raising flour to make your dough.
Mix the two together really well and knead into a dough. If your dough is too sticky, add some extra flour until you get the right consistency.
Then roll out your dough onto a clean bench surface that has extra self-raising flour sprinkled on it. The extra flour will help your dough to stop sticking to the bench.
Roll out into a large rectangle shape with a rolling pin. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. It won’t be!
Then just top your dough with your favourite fillings.
Roll up into a sausage shape from the long side, fillings on the inside. Then chop into 2cm sections.
Place flat on a prepared baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until they are golden and delicious!
EASY AS THAT!
Easy Scroll Filling Ideas
Cheese and bacon scrolls are great and most people enjoy the combo together, with or without the pizza scrolls addition of tomato paste. But what about some more scroll topping ideas to try.
Here are some of our favourites:
- Tomato paste
- Pineapple – like these Hawaiian pizza scrolls
- Apple (stew first to soften)
- Sundried tomato
- Peanut butter
- Feta cheese
Of course, not all these flavours will go well together so make sure you combine flavours that mix well! Don’t go pairing sweets with savouries, unless you love that combination of fillings!
Want more lunch box recipe ideas? Check these out:
- 30+ delicious lunch box recipes
- 75 lunch box fillers + free printable list
- 30+ healthy muffin recipes for kids
- Pear & walnut muffins
- Mango & banana muffins
- Weetbix choc chip cookies
- Healthy after school snacks for kids
- Lunch box quiches
For measurement and temperature conversions.
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 ½ cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Pre-heat oven to approximately 200 degrees Celcius.
- Mix yoghurt and flour in a medium-sized bowl until well combined.
- Form into a dough ball and knead well. If still sticky to touch, add extra flour into your dough.
- Sprinkle extra flour over a well-cleaned benchtop
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough into a thin rectangle, around 1cm thick.
- Top dough with fillings of your choice.
- Roll from the long side of the dough until you form a sausage shape, with your fillings inside.
- Cut rolled dough into sections, approximately 2cm wide.
- Place on a lined baking tray so scroll is facing upward and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
You can use any fillings you like instead of cheese and bacon. Here are some great options: Tomato paste or sauce, cheese, bacon, ham, pineapple, salami, Vegemite.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.