Personalised DIY acrylic keychains are so much fun to make with your Cricut machine and in this tutorial, I will show you how you can make Cricut acrylic keychains in a simple step-by-step guide.
These personalised acrylic keychains are one of the easiest custom gift ideas or for DIY personalised party favours too! They look adorable and they take very little time to make. This guide will teach you how to make your own custom acrylic keyrings and give you tips on other ways you can personalise them too.
Personalised Acrylic Keychains
Whether you want to make unique gifts for your friends or party favours for a special event, blank acrylic keychains offer endless possibilities for customisation.
With a Cricut or similar vinyl cutting machine, you can easily create personalised designs in layered vinyl that reflect each unique personality and style.
Perfect if you need a last-minute gift in a hurry! And they are a great Cricut Joy beginner project, perfectly suited to the smaller-sized machine if you’re just getting started.
For these acrylic Cricut keychains I made, some of these were for Disney Cruise fish extender gifts (hence the Disney quote) and the others were for end-of-year teacher gifts.
What You Will Need
Here’s a list of things you will need to make your own DIY acrylic keychains with Cricut:
- Blank acrylic circles: You can purchase acrylic keychain blanks in various shapes and sizes from your local craft store or online. Many will come with keychain rings and tassels too.
- Keychain rings: These will be used to attach the acrylic keychains to keys or bags. Most keyring blanks will come with them.
- Tassels: Many acrylic keyrings also come with colourful tassels. These aren’t essential but they make the keychains look extra fancy!
- A Cricut machine or similar cutting machine: I used my Cricut Joy but any vinyl cutting machine will work.
- Permanent vinyl: For layering, choose 2 to 3 different vinyl colours for each keyring, in colours that contrast each other.
- Transfer tape: This adhesive tool will help you transfer the cut vinyl designs onto the acrylic keychain blanks.
- Weeding tool: This tool will come in handy for removing any excess vinyl from your designs.
- Cricut Design Space: This is the software you’ll be using to design and prepare your artwork for cutting. It’s a free online platform provided by Cricut and is compatible with both Windows and Mac.
- SVGs: Optional if you want to use specific designs. You can also create your own designs in the Design Space software.
- Pliers: To make it easier to attach the keychain jump ring.
How To Make DIY Acrylic Keychains With Cricut
With just a few simple steps, you can make personalised acrylic keychains that are perfect for gifts or party favours. Here’s how to make your own Cricut keychains:
STEP ONE – Create a New Project in Design Space
Open the Cricut Design Space software and create a new project. Create a shape of the same size as your keychain. For example, if your keychains are 2.5 inches in diameter, create a circle of this same size. This will help you plan out your design and ensure it fits.
STEP TWO – Upload and Edit Your Design
Select, upload or create your design. You can upload your own design, an existing SVG purchased elsewhere, such as Etsy or Creative Fabrica or use one from the Design Space library.
Or simply create your own design using text and shapes. Make sure your design fits the keychain and adjust it if necessary.
For these acrylic keychains, I used SVGs I purchased from Etsy and Creative Fabrica. I also used shapes from the Cricut Design Space. If you have a Cricut Access Subscription, you will have access to everything in the library, otherwise, you can upload or purchase individual shapes.
I used a few different shapes. ‘Paint Brush Stroke’ M3C71B9FO was my favourite.
Once you have finalised your design, you can delete the background shape as this was just as a guide. We don’t want to cut that out.
STEP THREE – Prepare Your Design for Cutting
Once your design is ready, select the appropriate material setting for cutting. I used Cricut Smart Vinyl in white and black, which does not require a cutting mat.
I also used standard permanent vinyl in other colours, which do require a cutting mat, so make sure you choose the setting to suit your materials.
Load the permanent vinyl into your machine and follow the on-screen prompts to start the cutting process.
STEP FOUR – Weed and Transfer Your Design
After the machine finishes cutting, carefully remove the excess vinyl using the weeding tool. Cut a piece of transfer tape slightly larger than your design and place it over the vinyl.
Use a scraper tool to firmly press the transfer tape onto the vinyl, making sure it adheres properly.
STEP FIVE – Apply Your Design to the Acrylic Keychain
Peel the protective layer from your acrylic keychain (don’t forget this step!!!). Carefully place the design onto the acrylic keychain, ensuring it’s centred and aligned properly.
Use the scraper tool to apply pressure and transfer the vinyl onto the keychain. Slowly peel off the transfer tape, leaving the vinyl design on the keychain.
If you are layering your vinyl, repeat this process. For my keychains, I applied the brushstroke shape to the back of the acrylic blank round and the word design to the front. This gives your keychains a cute layered effect.
STEP SIX – Add Finishing Touches
Attach the keychain using a jump ring and add a tassel (optional).
You can also add ribbon to these acrylic rounds and create personalised acrylic ornaments or gift tags instead of keychains.
EXTRA TIPS: Acrylic is not a very forgiving surface. It bubbles easily. Some people like to spray their surface with a spritz of water and soap first to allow the vinyl to apply smoothly. Its also so important to make sure there’s no dust or grime so always wait until the last moment to peel the acrylic backing away.
Other Ways To Personalise Acrylic Keyrings
If you’re looking to add your own personal touch to your acrylic keychains, there are a variety of methods you can try. Here are some tips for personalizing keyrings:
- Paint: One option is to use paint to create unique designs on your keychains. Instead of using a vinyl brushstroke shape, you can paint directly onto your acrylic and allow it to dry before applying the vinyl. Or if you want to personalise acrylic keychains without a Cricut, you can hand paint designs or use stencils and paint splatters.
- Resin: Another way to personalize your acrylic keychains is by using resin. You can mix different colours or add small decorative items like glitter, dried flowers, or charms to the resin before pouring it into the keychain round.
- Markers and Pens: If you prefer a more detailed and intricate design, using markers or pens specifically designed for glass or plastic surfaces can be a great choice. These markers allow you to draw precise lines and add vibrant colours to your keychains.
- Decoupage: Decoupage is a technique where you adhere decorative paper or fabric to a surface using a special glue or sealer. You can cut out small designs, patterns, or even personal photos and apply them to your keychains for a unique and personalised touch.
- Stickers and Adhesive Embellishments: If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to personalize your keychains, using stickers or adhesive embellishments is a great option. You can find a wide variety of stickers and embellishments in different shapes, colours, and designs, allowing you to customise your keychains effortlessly. Just be mindful that these will not be as durable as permanent vinyl.
Conclusion: Cricut Acrylic Keychains
I hope you have enjoyed this simple tutorial on how to make DIY acrylic keyrings with your Cricut machine! With just a few simple steps, you can create personalised keychains for yourself, your friends, or even as party favours for special occasions.
Find more Cricut inspiration:
- Cricut Joy review: Is it worth it?
- Essential Cricut Joy accessories for beginners
- DIY Cricut personalised sleeping masks
- DIY Disney autograph book with Cricut
- Personalised acrylic bookmarks
- No-Sew Disney Cruise Fish Extender Door Hanger
- Personalised acrylic keychains
- Personalised Cricut koozies
- Cricut Tic Tac Toe Bags