This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure
This list of party themes for adults will help you plan the most epic celebration ever! It can sometimes be difficult to plan a party as an adult. There are so many factors to consider, from the location to the time of day, to the theme. This list will help you find some awesome adult party themes for your next party.
Why should kids get all the fun! This list of adult party themes will help you plan a memorable celebration with friends and family!
You may think themed parties are mostly for kids or that a theme party means fancy dress and elaborate decorations but that doesn’t have to be the case at all.
Creative And Fun Adult Party Themes
Choosing a theme for a birthday party or celebration can be as simple as having a colour scheme or a type of food as the central focus.
The best thing about adult theme parties is that they make your party planning so much easier. From invitations to decorations, entertainment, food and party games – choosing all of these things is easier with a theme!
A theme party is also a great way of adding some of your unique personality to your celebration, such as focusing it around a favourite genre of music or film, or a particular decade of fashion and style.
It’s a great way of planning a memorable event that is sure to get guests thinking about how they can make the theme work for them.
Planning Your Themed Party
Once you have an idea of what type of party to throw, it’s time to plan!
Decide on a date, approximately how many guests would be invited, your venue, and when the invitations should go out.
Make sure your invites go out at least 3 weeks before your party to give guests time to prepare. If you have an elaborate costume theme, you may even want to give them 4-6 weeks of planning time.
Make sure you have enough space at your party venue to suit the number of guests, especially if hosting at home. If your home or backyard area is small, you may need to consider local venue hire options instead.
Then it’s all your food and entertainment – whether you are cooking at home or hiring a caterer. The type of entertainment, such as a bartender, a DJ, a band or setting up your own speaker system at home connected to your phone.
All of this should be in progress even before the invites go out, so you can have a stress free party celebration when the day arrives!
Partying with kids? Check out these tips for celebrating New Year’s Eve (or any occasion) with kids!
Choosing Party Themes For Adults
To help you plan the perfect party theme for your birthday party or event, we have put together the most extensive, mammoth list of ideas! There is sure to be plenty of inspiration for your celebration, with party themes for adults and teenagers alike.
These adult party themes are perfect for any kind of celebration for a grown-up – birthday parties, baby shower, graduation party, bridal shower, engagement party and anything else you can think of!
If you can celebrate it, you can theme it!
The Ultimate List Of Party Themes For Adults
This is the ultimate list of party themes for adults, with 225 different ideas for you to consider for your celebration. These things include dress up parties, food themed parties and simple themes around colours, music, style and entertainment.
- Black and white
- Red, blue and white
- Harry Potter
- Lord of the Rings
- Game of Thrones
- Basketball / NBA party
- Dress for the decade you were born
- Ballgowns and black tie
- Day spa pamper party – Invite all of your friends over for an evening pampering session. Start off by getting everyone a drink and set out some snacks. Set up pamper stations around your home for different things, such as pedicures, foot spas and manicures or hire a professional team to give mini massage and facials to your guests.
- Pimps and hoes
- Horror theme or Halloween
- Video games
- Things starting with a certain letter
- Mexican fiesta – A great theme for warmer days when your group is looking to have a little fun outside with their favourite Mexican food and drinks! Don’t forget the sombreros and Tequila.
- Masquerade ball
- Pyjama party – Dress in your pyjamas for this event and don’t forget your slippers and dressing gown during winter.
- Slumber party
- Taco bar
- Beach party
- Pool party
- Red carpet
- Las Vegas
- Dress as your favourite celebrity
- Memory lane – Set up photo displays of the guest of honour and possibly even have a slideshow running during the party. Hire or create your own DIY photo booth to create new memories.
- Pirate party
- Murder mystery
- Escape room
- Great Gatsby
- Rainbow party
- White party -Everyone wears nothing but white from head to toe. Clothing and accessories, with simple white decor for a classy and classic party theme that suits most occassions.
- Black party
- Pink party
- James Bond
- Mardi Gras
- Crossdressing/drag party
- Wild west
- Super Bowl
- Casino night – There are many different things you can do at this type of party from having a blackjack table to poker games. There are party hire businesses that will come to you and set up a casino night at your venue. Don’t forget to dress the part of a high roller!
- Boardgame night – Invite your family or friends over to play some old classics like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit! You can also host a themed night with the newest, hottest board games.
- Poker party
- Adult prom
- Scavenger hunt
- Travel themed
- Stars on screen
- Country music
- Heavy metal
- Popstar – Channel your inner popstar vibes with each guest dressing as a specific or generic pop star. The playlist is nothing but pop and plenty of bright colours to decorate the venue.
- Movie marathon
- Camping party
- Pyrotechnic show
- Live concert/DJs
- Athleisure wear
- Death to my youth party – A funeral-style party celebrating the end of your youth years, with DIY tombstones, a RIP cake and other novelty decorations to poke fun at your milestone age. Popular for 30th birthday parties, but why not push it out to 40 or 50!
- International food
- Armchair travel
- Speed dating/matchmaking party
- Truth or dare games (adult)
- Summer camp
- Wine tasting party – You can purchase a variety of wines and do a DIY wine tasting at home or in your backyard! Add some string lights to your outdoor area and have complimentary nibblies such as cheese platters and fresh fruits.
- Craft beer
- Backyard BBQ
- Beers and barbeque
- Cocktail party – This theme is perfect for a night of cocktails, appetisers, light fare, and mingling with friends. Dress code: cocktail attire. To add a special touch, pick a signature cocktail for the event.
- Mocktail party
- Milkshake bar
- Candy theme
- Pastel colours
- Glitter and sparkles
- Wear your team colours
- James Bond
- Dia De Muertos/Day of the Dead
- Dessert bar
- Tea party
- Alice in Wonderland
- Ice cream bar
- Hawaiian Luau – Hawai’ian theme party with a tropical twist, and decorating the house like an island paradise with palm trees and fresh fruit platters. The food can be served picnic-style on the ground or in coconuts rather than bowls. Include tiki torches for decorations and cocktails as part of your menu.
- Toga party
- Trashy/tacky dress-up party
- Book theme
- Around the world – Prepare dishes from around the world and decorate different areas of your party venue with flags, memorabilia or decorations from different parts of the world.
- Milkshake bar – Set up a milkshake bar where people can create their own custom milkshakes using a variety of flavours, ice cream, toppings, and syrups. Guests will love this idea since it’s both delicious and customizable!
- Race day
- Cinco de Mayo
- Patriotic party
- French theme
- Christmas in July
- Literary characters
- Chinese New Year – Chinese zodiac animal themes, e.g., dragon, horse, decorations and food to create the vibe of having your own Chinese New Year celebration at home.
- Red, white, and pink
- Ugly sweater
- Naughty Santa
- Black, gold, silver theme – like the rich holiday colours of New Year’s Eve in glamorous cities around the world.
- Karaoke party
- Rock-n-roll themed party
- Dinner party – Break out your favourite recipes and your best dinner set for this dinner theme to enjoy a delicious meal in good company!
- Brunch party
- Pot luck party
- Sushi train – Make your sushi night as elegant or creative as you would like! You can go all out and have everything from wasabi with soy sauce on hand, fresh raw fish, nori seaweed sheets, and hire or DIY a sushi train for the centre of your table. Or hire a chef to give your guests a sushi-making class.
- Pop culture
- Comic books
- Famous couples
- Studio 54 party
- Star Wars – Get your Jedi gear and lightsaber ready for an intergalactic theme that Star Wars superfans are sure to love.
- Star Trek
- Oscars party
- Grammys party
- Garden party
- Salsa – Play salsa music and decorate with Spanish flair. You could even get everyone together for a salsa lesson!
- Bon voyage
- Backyard picnic
- Costumes and Cocktails
- Favourite things party
- Surprise party
- Girls night in
- Craft party
- Painting party – Set up individual canvases and paint supplies for a creative fun event at home or at a studio. There are many venues that offer private painting parties with wine and food included as well.
- Nightmare Before Christmas
- Plant and sip gardening party
- High tea
- Minute To Win It
- The Amazing Race
- Redneck/Hillbilly party
- Dance party – Hire a dance floor and have the best dance tunes playing for an energetic and fun way of celebrating with close friends and family. You can request each guest tells you their favourite dance song when you send out the invites so you can put together a playlist that you know will get them all dancing!
- Downton Abbey
- Cook-off or bake-off theme
- Backward party
- Wine and cheese
- Outer space
- Magic show
- Glow in the dark – Blackout your party zone and add some neon lighting, dance music and have a heap of glow sticks to hand to your guests when they arrive.
- Chocolate party
- Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Pop art
- Seven deadly sins
- Paint the town red
- Dress up as your favourite character from a TV show or film!
- Viva Italia
- Race day – Race day attire with fancy hats or fascinators for the women and suits for the them. You can host this party around an actual racing event or theme your menu around race day terms. Don’t forget the fashion parade!
- St. Patricks Day
- Roller skating
- Gaming party
- Project Runway
- Beach picnic – Pack a picnic basket with all the essentials: sandwiches, salads, dips, fruit salad or pita chips & hummus and assorted drinks and head to the beach with your umbrellas and picnic blankets for a day of delicious food, great company and sunshine.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s
- Arabian Nights
- Vintage garden party
- Kid’s party games – Relive your youth by having a throwback to your favourite kid’s party games with a twist. Everything from musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey and pass the parcel will get the adults laughing and having a blast!
- Backyard bonfire
- Grill and chill
- Line dancing
- Crazy hair
- Create your own costume – Guests are provided with DIY supplies such as streamers, balloons, paper, tape, fabric and anything else you can think of and must put together their own fabulous party costume once they arrive. This theme is even more fun if you do a costume contest for all the crazy creations your guests have come up with!
- Love & romance
- Dance battle
- When I grow up dress-up party – Ask guests to dress up as the occupation or thing that they wanted to be when they were kids.
- Science fiction
- Social media
- Dress as the thing you most fear
- Ugly bridesmaid theme – This party theme for women (or men) is perfect for bridal showers, hens nights and girls night out parties, having each guest find the ugliest second-hand bridesmaid dress they can find to wear for the night. Think lots of tulle and puffy sleeves. Finding the perfect ugly dress is the best part!
- Historical figures
- Zoo theme
If you’re looking for a way to spice up your next party, we hope this list of adult party themes and ideas will help. From fancy dress party themes for adults to glamourous DIY events and food fiestas that are sure to make the night memorable, there are tons of ways to turn an ordinary gathering into something truly special. Have fun picking out the perfect theme and planning all the details!
Have you been to a really cool themed party before? Tell us about it in the comments.
Looking for more celebration and costume ideas? Check these out: