This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure
Welcome to your very first “SIMPLIFY MY LIFE” monthly challenge task. Each month I will be bringing you 3 parts of the challenge – Part 1 will be the DECLUTTER, part 2 will be to ORGANISE and Part 3 is to SIMPLIFY. It’s less overwhelming in parts, don’t you think?
If you haven’t already, make sure you sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss the regular updates. They will also help remind you to stay on task. But for now, on to our very first challenge.
SIMPLIFY MY LIFE KITCHEN DECLUTTER
The kitchen is one of the most central spaces in most homes, visible throughout the day and when guests visit. For that very reason, the kitchen is a great place to start on our journey to “SIMPLIFY MY LIFE” year long organise, simplify and declutter challenge.
If you are anything like me, the kitchen also tends to be a bit of a dumping ground for certain items, such as leaving paperwork and keys on the bench, or those random items that may not have a set home (yet). It’s a terrible habit and makes the kitchen so unsightly. (Not to mention it’s a bit lazy on my part).
Decluttering Your Life
Unfortunately before we do a kitchen declutter though, we must start with a big clean up. No point trying to organise a dirty, untidy kitchen! So many of the items on the kitchen checklist are cleaning tasks… Brace yourself!
Then we will get into the nitty gritty of getting rid of excess ‘crap’ so you can simplify and enjoy a clutter free, organised kitchen.
Download your kitchen declutter checklist to get started by clicking the link.
To help you on your way, check out the natural methods of cleaning the microwave and dishwasher, along with other tips and hints on getting your kitchen spotless and organised throughout the month.
And remember, you have a whole month to do these tasks, so you may want to space them out, or do them all in one day or weekend, although this is only part 1 of the January challenge.
Here are some bonus declutter tips to get you started:
- If you have not used an item recently, chances are you do not need it. Think twice before putting back anything not on regular rotation.
- While it is great to be prepared for anything, do you really need 30 left overs containers? Probably not.
- Dinner set or silverware for a special occasion – if you never seem to pull these out, they may be taking up valuable space.
- Same goes for pantry items – can you see yourself eating those tinned artichokes? No… bin them or give them to someone who will.
- Your local discount store is likely your best friend for cheap organisation products for the kitchen – stackable containers for your pantry items, spice rack, shelves to create extra storage under your sink, baskets, hooks, etc.
- Create a yearly cleaning schedule for your home which includes regular cleaning of the kitchen appliances. Done often, they won’t seem like such a big job compared to being neglected for months.
- Meal planning is perfect for reducing waste and spending less on groceries.
- And for staying organised in the kitchen, check out my menu planning and kitchen inventory printables – keep track of meals to make, groceries to buy and fridge, freezer and pantry inventory.
Do you have any great tips for doing a kitchen declutter?
Good luck… It’s time to start the SIMPLIFY MY LIFE challenge so you too can simplify your life this year.