Motherhood is a full-time job, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have any hobbies! In fact, having your own interests is a great way to relieve stress and connect with other mums. If you are looking for hobbies for mums, this list of hobby ideas for women is loaded with inspiration!
From crafting to gardening to outdoors, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Fun Hobbies For Women & Stay At Home Mums
Life can be incredibly hectic as a mum. You are constantly taking care of everyone else and it can be easy to forget about yourself. That’s why it’s important to have hobbies that you enjoy.
If you’ve stopped doing a lot of the things you loved before you had little kids, there’s a chance you might feel like you’ve lost some of your identity along the way.
This is especially something many stay at home mums feel when making the transition from working to being home full time. Y
ou may feel like you have lost some of your support network, and are certainly less sure of who you are outside of being an amazing mum.
But it doesn’t need to feel like that! You are still you and there are plenty of ways to discover what that means again.
That’s why finding fun hobbies for mums is essential. It allows you to have some “me time” and do something that makes you happy. When you’re happy, it reflects in your parenting.
How To Choose A Hobby You Will Love
When looking for a new hobby, it is essential to choose something that you will actually enjoy.
It can be tempting to try out a new hobby because it seems like everyone else is doing it or because you think you “should” be doing it.
For example, you might see all the other mums in your neighbourhood running and think that you should start running too. But if you hate running, you’re never going to stick with it.
The same goes for any other hobby. If you’re not passionate about it, you won’t stick with it long-term.
So, how do you choose a hobby that you will love?
Here are some tips for choosing a new hobby or interest:
- Follow your interests: If you’re not sure what you’re interested in, think about the things you loved doing before you had kids or as a kid.
- Consider your lifestyle: If you don’t have a lot of time, choose a hobby that doesn’t require a lot of time commitment.
- Trial It: If you’re still undecided, try out a few different hobbies and see which ones you enjoy enough to keep doing.
The Benefits Of Finding A New Hobby Or Interest
There are many benefits to finding a new hobby or interest. Finding a hobby you love can transform your confidence and improve both your physical and mental health.
Not only that, but hobbies are the best way to meet other women who have similar interests. You can connect with them over your shared love of painting or hiking, and build lasting friendships.
Doing something you’re passionate about is also a proven method of relaxation even if it pushes you physically and mentally.
Here are some of the main benefits of having hobbies or interests:
- Relieve stress
- Meet other women with similar interests
- Connect with your kids or family
- Feel more joy
- Give you a new sense of purpose
- Express creativity
- Push you outside of your comfort zone
- Give you much-needed “me time”
- Maintaining a healthy and active brain
And yes, you do have enough time for a hobby! It does not need to be something you do on a daily basis to have a huge impact on your life and well-being!
List Of Hobby Ideas For Women
Now that we’ve talked about the benefits of having hobbies for women, it’s time to give you some ideas! Here is a list of hobby ideas for women to get you started.
Hobby At Home Ideas
These hobbies are perfect for women who want something they can do at home. If you have a baby or young child, having hobbies that can fit around your parenting duties and even during nap times is a huge bonus!
It is often easier to pursue a hobby from home than it is to get involved in a hobby that takes you outside of the home.
While having both is always a fantastic idea, these hobbies for busy women are a great starting point if you’re wondering how you will fit something new into your already busy schedule:
- Learn a new language
- Creative writing
- Calligraphy or hand lettering
- Bullet journaling
- Diamond painting
- Colouring books for adults (check out these free colouring pages)
- Digital scrapbooking
- Virtual dance or fitness classes
- Video games
- Crossword puzzles
- Learn a musical instrument
- Candle making
- Listening to podcasts or audiobooks (I love Audible for audiobooks)
- Makeup tutorials
- Poetry writing
- Furniture restoration
- Resin art
- Jewellery making
- Ribbon twirling
- Researching your family tree
- Cake decorating
- Jam making
- Daily gratitude practice
- Nail art
- Flower arranging
- Coin collecting
- Stamp collecting
- Start a vegetable garden
- Create fan art
- Build models
- LEGO building
Hobbies For Women Outside Of The Home
Of course, there are many hobbies for women that take place outside of the home.
These can be harder to fit in around parenting duties but often have more of a social element to them.
There are plenty of great hobbies outside of the home that focuses on physical health and staying active, however, there are just as many suited to anyone who prefers creative hobbies too!
Here are some new amazing ideas for hobbies that take place outside of the home:
- Running or jogging
- Exercise classes
- Team sports
- Art classes
- Dance classes
- Music lessons
- Rock climbing
- Cooking classes
- Trips to the cinema
- Martial arts
- Joining a social club
- Bird watching
- Pole dance classes
- Roller derby
- Rollerskating or rollerblading
- Ice skating
- Drama classes
- Metal detecting
- Join a book club
- Ballroom dancing
- Ten Pin bowling
- Lawn bowls
- Line dancing
- Trivia nights
- Coach a kids’ sports team
- Volunteer in the classroom or tuckshop
- Pet showing
- Pet sitting
- Dog walking
- Volunteer lifesaver
- Drone videography or photography
- Stand up comedy
- Singing lessons
Hobbies That Make Money For Stay At home Mums
There are even hobbies that make money for stay at home mums! These hobbies can be a great way to bring in some extra cash while still being able to do something you love.
Of course, there are many different ways to make money from hobbies but we’ve put together a list of our favourites.
Crafting hobby ideas are ideal for making some extra cash, but you might not have thought about all these money-making hobby ideas for women:
- Designing invitations – With weddings, birthdays and other special occasions happening all the time, there is always a demand for stunning invitations. If you have an eye for design and some creative flair, this could be the perfect hobby-turned-business for you! No fancy software? You can create incredible designs with the free Canva software and an Etsy store.
- Photography – If you love taking photos, why not start a photography business? This is a great way to make money while doing something you’re passionate about. You can always take an online photography course to improve your skills and you don’t need the most fancy camera to get started either.
- Blogging – Start a blog about your interests and create an online community to reach other like-minded individuals. Blogging is not a quick method of earning money, however over time it can be very profitable! Check out how to start a travel blog.
- Start a YouTube channel – Anyone can create YouTube videos so if there is something you are great at, why not consider creating instructional videos or start a vlogging channel. Again, it can take time to reach the point of making money from YouTube but it’s absolutely possible!
- Affiliate marketing – This is where you promote other people’s products or services and receive a commission for every sale made through your link. This can be done through social media platforms or blogs.
- Creating blends of essential oils – Essential oil blends are very popular and something that a lot of people prefer to have ready-made for them! You can create your own unique blends and sell them online or at local markets.
- Creating printables – If you are crafty and love making things like planners, checklists or wall art, you can create printables to sell on Etsy. This is a fantastic way to make some extra cash as a stay at home mum and it’s a really affordable way to get started with an online business. Canva is definitely my favourite printable making tool! Creating your own planner sticks are another popular item to sell on Etsy. (Get 40 free Etsy listings to get started)
- Flipping Items – Have a knack for finding bargains? You could start selling unwanted items to make a profit. This can be done with clothes, furniture, books, cars… anything really!
- Soap making – Making soap is a fun hobby that can also be turned into a business. You can make all sorts of different soaps or other handmade pamper products and sell them online or at local markets.
- Baking – Everyone loves homemade baked goods! If you love to bake, you could start selling your treats at local markets or events. Or if you’re especially talented at cake decorating, start a cupcake and cake decorating business!
- Online surveys – You won’t get rich quick by filling out online surveys but it is a very easy way to make some extra cash in your spare time. You can even fit it in during school pick up as you wait in the car!
- Ghostwriting – If you’re a great writer, you could start your own ghostwriting services. This is where people pay you to write for them, whether it’s articles, blog posts, eBooks or even just social media posts. It’s a great way to make money from home and it can be very flexible too if you have great written skills.
- Proofreader or editor – Do you have a keen eye for detail and a love for reading? You could start offering proofreading or editing services to earn some extra cash. This is the perfect work from home job for mums as it can be done around your other commitments and you get to enjoy consuming some written work while you’re at it.
- Sell handmade creations – If you’re crafty, you could start selling your handmade creations online, such as on Etsy, Shopify, or at local markets. This is a great way to make some extra money and it’s also really satisfying to see people enjoying the things you’ve made.
- Tutoring – Are you a maths wiz or an English superstar? You could start tutoring students from your home or local area to earn some extra cash. This is a great way to use your skills and knowledge to help others, and it can be very flexible around your commitments as a mum. This is a perfect way to put any teaching or professional skills to use even while on maternity leave!
- Podcasting – Another popular online content platform, you can start a podcast on any topic that interests you. You could interview guests, review products or simply chat about your hobbies! Once you get a little traction, get podcast sponsors and make a little extra cash!
- Create planner stickers – Design and print your own planner stickers to sell on Etsy or in person. Check out this masterclass to help you get started.
FURTHER READING: Legitimate work from home jobs for mums
Hobbies To Do With A Partner Or Family
Why not start hobbies that you can do with a partner or as a family? These hobbies are great for bonding and spending quality time together, especially if you do not have much time outside of your other responsibilities to fit in hobbies.
Although pretty much any of the hobbies included in this list, including those indoor hobbies for women can all be done in the company of friends and family.
It’s all about finding the type of hobby you can do together as a wonderful way of enjoying your interests together.
Having a hobby with your partner can improve the quality of your relationship, ensuring you still have similar passions, interests and goals to share.
Learning new things together with someone else is always more fun too as you can help keep each other motivated and have a great time doing it!
Here are some great couple and family hobby ideas:
- Hiking and nature walks
- Board games
- Bike riding
- Indoor rock climbing
- Fun runs
- Kite flying
For more ideas, check out these tech-free activities for families and fun things to do at home or in the backyard with kids.
Still don’t think you have enough time for hobbies? Here are some ways to help you get back more time in your busy day:
There are plenty of hobbies for women to choose from, no matter your interests or lifestyle. Whether you’re a stay-at-home mum looking for some indoor hobby ideas or you’re looking for something new to do outside the home, we’ve got you covered. We hope this list of hobbies for mums has given you plenty of inspiration and that you’ll be able to find a hobby that’s perfect for you. Happy hobby hunting!
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE HOBBIES? SHARE IN THE COMMENTS BELOW:
Like This Article? Share, Bookmark Or Pin It For Later!