In a world where being busy seems almost like a status symbol these days, there is no more important time than now to stop and take notice of the simple things in life.
It’s easy to get lost in the daily hustle and bustle or to get overwhelmed. We often forget to take a moment and appreciate the little things that make us smile. These simple joys can brighten our day and lead to a more grateful outlook.
So let’s take a moment to slow down and highlight 100 simple joys of life that are waiting for us to notice.
How These Simple Joys Can Make You Happier
With the way our minds work, it’s easy to forget the small things that make us happy.
These moments, yet simple and small, are powerful ways to boost our moods. They can improve our overall well-being and do wonders for our mental health.
It has been proven that taking notice of the small joys in life can help manage anxiety and depression. In fact, a single act of thoughtful gratitude can give an immediate boost in happiness of up to 10% and up to 35% reduction in symptoms of depression. Whoa!
They keep us grounded and remind us to live in the present moment – living a more intentional life.
These tiny moments allow us to acknowledge the beauty in everything around us and help us develop a sense of gratitude and appreciation.
100 Simple Joys Of Life To Boost Your Happiness
While not everything on this list of simple joys will bring you happiness, if you’re struggling right now to find something to be grateful for, there will be many things on this list that you can relate to.
Use this list to remind you of those little joys, or let it be your inspiration to create your own gratitude list of things that make you happy.
- A fresh bouquet of flowers on your kitchen counter.
- The first sip of a warm cup of coffee on a chilly morning.
- A clean and organised home after a cleaning session.
- The sound of birds chirping outside your window.
- The smell of freshly cut grass.
- A stranger’s genuine smile or greeting in passing.
- A hot shower after a long day.
- A hug from a friend or loved one.
- A good book on a rainy day.
- Finding money in a pocket you forgot about.
- A great night’s sleep.
- The first bite of your favourite food.
- A long walk through nature.
- Accomplishing a difficult task.
- The first signs of spring after a long winter.
- A heartfelt compliment from someone you admire.
- A warm, fuzzy blanket on a cold day.
- A beautiful sunset that takes your breath away.
- The feeling of sand between your toes at the beach.
- A warm, relaxing bath.
- Listening to a favourite song.
- Being the person others come to as an expert in something you know well.
- Receiving a handwritten letter in the mail.
- Going out for a night with friends.
- A rejuvenating day of self-care.
- Discovering a new band you enjoy.
- Making someone else smile.
- Laughing so hard your cheeks hurt.
- Waking up to a sunny morning.
- Freshly laundered sheets.
- A long-awaited vacation.
- Petting your furry friend.
- Reminiscing fond childhood memories.
- Having a picnic in the park.
- An epic workout that leaves you feeling strong.
- Watching a favourite childhood movie.
- Indulging in your most loved dessert.
- A good cry that releases all your built-up emotions.
- Making progress towards a goal.
- The feeling of accomplishment after finishing a huge project.
- The first snowfall of winter.
- Discovering a new hobby.
- Celebrating a successful milestone.
- Warm summer breezes.
- Learning something new.
- A cozy night in with loved ones.
- Seeing someone you haven’t seen in a while.
- A clear starry night.
- Waking up to a productive day.
- Getting lost in a great movie.
- Enjoying a glass of wine at the end of a long day.
- A candlelit dinner with your loved one.
- Seeing your favourite band in concert.
- Receiving a heartfelt message from a loved one.
- Going on a road trip with your friends.
- Setting up a beautiful new planner
- Wearing an outfit that makes you feel confident.
- A random act of kindness from a stranger.
- Witnessing a random act of kindness towards someone else.
- A good hair day.
- Seeing your favourite athlete or team win a game.
- Appreciation from your boss.
- Making someone else’s day better.
- A clean car after a car wash.
- Waking up to a clean kitchen.
- Having a great conversation with someone new.
- Trying something new for the first time.
- Seeing a rainbow after a storm.
- Binging a TV series you love.
- Water activities on a hot summer day.
- Putting on fresh pyjamas after a long day.
- Watching the world go by while sitting outside.
- Receiving a long-awaited package in the mail.
- Stepping outside and feeling the sun on your face.
- Dancing all night with friends.
- Having a go-slow day at home.
- Cooking a delicious meal from scratch.
- Seeing an old friend and reminiscing.
- Going to bed with a clear mind.
- Seeing generations of family together in one room.
- Completing a new certification or skill.
- Catching up with a friend over a cup of coffee.
- Completing a challenging workout.
- A date night out with your loved one.
- Making amends with someone you’ve been estranged from.
- Receiving a promotion at work.
- Achieving a personal fitness goal.
- Finding a new job that you love.
- Floating in a pool on a hot day.
- Getting a massage or spa treatment.
- Seeing wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Witnessing your child accomplish something for the first time.
- The end result of a renovation or makeover project.
- Seeing a loved one achieve a significant milestone.
- Going on a surprise vacation or adventure.
- Finally crossing something off your bucket list.
- Playing with a child and seeing them happy.
- Watching a beautiful sunrise.
- Completing a long hike and seeing an incredible view.
- The satisfying feeling of a good stretch.
Ways You Can Take Notice Of The Small Joys In Your Life
It’s one thing to know that small joys make us happy, and another to experience them in our daily life.
One of the best ways to take notice of these little moments is to practice daily mindfulness – taking time to be more aware of our surroundings and how we are feeling, hitting pause for a few moments.
A daily gratitude practice is another very powerful way to boost your mood.
This can be through a daily journal practice, writing down one to three things every day that you are grateful for.
You can also try having a daily gratitude list where you add one thing you are grateful for every single day. Just think how incredible that list will be to look back on after a year to see 365 of life’s simple pleasures listed.
If you’re a little inconsistent with journalling, one of my favourite ways to practice gratitude is through a daily phone reminder. It pops up at 9 AM each day on my phone just before I start my work day asking me “What are you excited about today?” and it means I kick off my day with a positive mindset. Try it!
If you’re looking for a few more resources to help you live a more grateful life, here are some of my favourite reads that will help you to focus on a happier life:
- Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon Self-Control, and Other Experiments in Everyday Life – Gretchen Rubin
- Four Thousand Weeks – Oliver Burkeman (This one is more about our limited time and how to maximise our lives)
In a world where life is moving at a frantic pace, it is important to stop every once in a while and appreciate the little things that bring us joy. They give us the strength to persevere and enjoy the journey along the way. Try to cultivate an attitude of gratitude for these simple moments and take notice of the magic that surrounds us every day.