Gift giving can be expensive, especially if you have a big family, with birthdays and other various special occasions through the year. It does not take long for it all to add up and hurt the bank balance.
Thankfully there are plenty of ways to save a few dollars along the way with these thrifty gift giving ideas:
1. RECYCLE PACKAGING – Gift bags, tissue paper, ribbon and other bits and bobs can often be reused for future gifts. Just try not to give them back to the person who gave them in the first place if you can remember (even though they probably won’t either) and it has it’s limits. Torn up wrapping paper stuck on like patch work is going a tad too far on the thrifty savings. Unless that’s your thing.
2. DIY – Always a fabulous money saver and that extra but person making handmade
and DIY gifts for loved ones. Most people love a bit of DIY as it shows the effort that has gone in.
3. SHOP SALES – Think ahead throughout the year and you could pick up some mega bargains along the way to save big for the people you are gifting. Some gifts are good to have on standby for a range of people to save that last minute rush to the store, spending more than necessary.
4. RE-GIFT – Again you need to be a little careful here. The last thing you want to do is re gift to the person who gave to you. But re-gifting can be a great way to be super thrifty and declutter your house at the same time.
5. EXPERIENCES – Instead of spending a wad of cash on a gift that may end up being a dust collector, consider giving the gift of an experience. Depending on the receiver, this could be anything from a 3 course cooked meal, babysitting for a night or a day out at the beach. Experiences don’t have to cost much but the memories being made are priceless.
6. DISCOUNT GIFT CARDS – There are plenty of ways to score discounted gift cards for various department and speciality stores. Often there are online deals to save perhaps 5% or you can score gift vouchers close to expiry for cheap on websites such as eBay. These can be used to either buy gifts at a bit of a saving or give as gifts, with the value being more than you paid.
7. FOOD – Are you a master in the kitchen? You know what they say about the way to a man’s heart is through their stomach! Some people love food gifts so maybe whip up their favourite dessert or some tasty treats for a cheap but made with love style gift.
Gift giving does not have to cost a fortune. There are thrifty gift ideas to suit everyone on your gift list, keeping both the receiver and your bank balance happy.
Do you have any other thrifty gift tips to share? Would love to hear them.